Today's discussion:

Gen Z doesn’t care about your public health care hang-ups

Just as on housing, young people don’t share their parents’ stiff upper lips and are not content to just receive supbar care. Crestview’s October survey of 2000 Canadians found that as much as seventy percent of Gen Z decided voters are open to “pay for service” health care.

Read article

Comments (18)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

Thank you for contributing to Hub Forum. For more on short-staffed hospitals and problems in healthcare, feel free to check out Geoff Russ’ article on staff-burnout: https://thehub.ca/2023-11-27/from-staff-burnout-to-er-overcrowding-how-increasing-home-visits-could-solve-a-host-of-health-care-problems/

5th December 2023 at 3:49 pm
Al Raftis

The sad thing is that our system is more costly, with longer wait times, than most Euopean countries where they already have parallel public private systems. Surely we can lokk at all these other countries and come up with a good version that helps everyone.

5th December 2023 at 8:22 am
Steve

It doesn’t matter what party is in power at what level of government, people have been complaining about our healthcare system since the 1970s. And for good reason, it’s a flawed system. It doesn’t matter what the benchmark is, wait times, doctor availability, hospital bed availability, bangs for the buck, health outcomes, studies usually find Canada ranking near the bottom of developed countries. Say this out loud and people start screaming about the ravages of the US system. Who cares what the US does, it usually ranks below Canada. Adopt one of the European health care systems that consistently ranks above Canada. The Australians also show up pretty well. And allow medical insurance for all medical problems to be sold.

5th December 2023 at 1:17 pm
Rob

The main argument of this article is essentially being made with the “people are saying” argument, in this case, Zoomers.

Sure, if personal experience and outcomes are bad enough, most people will be open to alternatives. Does that mean that we have a stark choice between continuing to “throw money at it” or allow for market dynamism to save it (for those that can throw money at their own health care)?

There are obviously many more options for the Federal and Provincial governments to improve the service and outcomes…and some harnessed market dynamism could very well be part of any effective solutions.

5th December 2023 at 9:21 am
George R Hinchliffe

We already have a 2 tiered system and have for years. Its a well known fact the the Politicians and the Wealthy dont wait in line with the rest of us but seek Private care when they need it its time to end the Hypocrisy.

5th December 2023 at 8:59 am
GrannyGoodwitch

You should be looking at Big Pharma’s attack on seniors instead of pointing fingers at what was once the healthiest generation.

5th December 2023 at 12:31 pm
Paul

The author has the right idea but her argument doesn’t go far enough. People should be able to decide how they wish to take care of themselves in all aspects of their lives.

It’s a relatively easy task for someone to estimate how much of their tax dollars go towards healthcare as well as all the other non essential programs that we are forced to pay for by our inept governments. Back those costs out of your tax bill and you will quickly realize that there is more than enough remaining to pay for private health care and the other essential services.

5th December 2023 at 10:51 am
Michael F

I recently met a young couple from the US on a trip. He is a successful entrepreneur. Between deductibles and premiums their deluxe coverage health insurance is $25,000 USD a year. His wife is going in for a minor surgery when they get home, and while the wait for the procedure was short the hospital called them asking for payment in advance for the surgeon. Surely we can do better than this.

5th December 2023 at 10:43 am
RJKWells

Zoomers don’t care? Maybe not now, but as they age – like everyone else before them – they will. Look how happy many from that demographic cohort are now after flocking to the one in 2015 campaigning on “Sunny ways, my friends, Sunny ways” and “Real Change (Now).” Choices sometimes lead to unintended consequences that can impact your life. Who knew?

Give them time and they’ll begin to take notice about health care. The message then, as it should be now (and whenever the next election occurs), “Choose Wisely.”

5th December 2023 at 8:05 am
Michael F

Why must you turn everything into a partisan diatribe?

5th December 2023 at 11:38 am
RJKWells

Michael, I might ask the same question of you, but that too would be a distraction from the topic at hand.

5th December 2023 at 2:50 pm
Solange

Disingenuous to blame Trudeau for the state of our health care system. It was showing strong signs of failing during the Harper era, got worse with the pandemic, just like most health care systems on the planet. Being spat at for providing vaccines didn’t help.

The zoomers are willing to pay for health because they don’t pay for rent yet. (And no, the housing crisis isn’t on Trudeau. These problems stem from bad policies enacted by various governments, including Harper’s and Mulroney’s.)

Can this paper, just once, discuss a problem without blaming Trudeau?

Anyone proposing real, sustainable conservative policies without falling into populism gets my vote. And yah, that means Poilièvre won’t.

5th December 2023 at 10:46 am
RJKWells

Disingenuous, Solange, me? Hardly.

What you apparently missed in my earlier analogy was that a new voting block, unaware of the consequences of ’cause and effect’ and the choice they made in 2015, are living under the realities of what that brought them now.

Look, rather than raise the specter of Liberaldom’s favorite bogeyman, the great Stephen Harper, try looking at it through a question posed through another great conservative politician, Ronald Reagan: “Are you better off today than you were [eight] years ago?” While I suspect you might be inclined to answer yes, I think a great many others would say otherwise. Especially that Zoomer crowd now well into their twenties.

As for Mr. Trudeau, he’s the one with his hand on the tiller. What he has done to improve the state of our healthcare system is the question he needs to answer. But I won’t hold my breath on that, not from someone whose only strength is his evasive non-answers.

5th December 2023 at 11:33 am
Richard Courtemanche

Not much left to manage competently any government responsibility.

5th December 2023 at 4:14 pm
Daniel J Vale

Allow it, but only if the remuneration for services, fees & salaries matches those in the public system; this to prevent a mass exodus of medical workers to private clinics, should they offer greater material benefits than can be realized in the public system.

5th December 2023 at 7:37 am
James Cowan

Keep it as it is. The rich already have the service they need.

5th December 2023 at 7:07 am
Al Raftis

No one gets the service they need. Let the rich pay for theirs so they move out of the public system and make more room for ordinary folks

5th December 2023 at 8:19 am
Rob

It seems more likely to me that when people with means can opt out of a public system of an essential service (childhood education, healthcare), a decrease of political support for the public system follows, creating a negative reinforcement loop of degradation for the public system.

5th December 2023 at 9:27 am