Today's discussion:

As newsrooms empty out, governments swoop in for the kill

With the number of journalists in Canada falling, government comms seems to be going in for the kill. There are now so few journalists that governments easily get away with holding back information that we all have a right to know.

Read article

Comments (16)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

Josh Dehaas address the state newsrooms and how journalists are affected by policies; what do you think about the kind of policies described in this article and its impacts journalism?

6th December 2023 at 9:53 am
Rob

Headline adjustment: “As newsrooms empty out, those with power swoop in for the kill”
Journalism checks power. An essential service for a functional democracy.

6th December 2023 at 8:42 am
Michael F

We need a robust fourth pillar or democracy will be out of balance. A strong, independent media is essential.

6th December 2023 at 9:57 am
Richard Courtemanche

Feed the alligator and hope it eats you last. All these journalists who fed the public the lies of their political masters instead of standing together to report the truth and root out the bad guys will not escape their disappearance.

6th December 2023 at 9:54 am
Kim Morton

With the government financing lamestream news rooms, there is little holding the government accountable, except for a few independent news sites. These CBC clones simply parrot the liberal party line, and make false accusations about indie media. False news is worse than no news.

6th December 2023 at 11:11 am
Gail Tomashewski

The only “news” on MSM is what comes from the PMO. All channels repeat it word for word. As far as magazine “news” stopped reading that drivel 30 years ago. The only news I get now is from independents such as the Daily Wire, Substack Tax Payers Federation etc.

6th December 2023 at 8:48 am
Rob

The assertion re: the PMO is wild hyperbole. The PMO wishes it had a fraction of such influence!

What are your working definitions of the terms ‘news’ and ‘mainstream media’?

6th December 2023 at 9:06 am
Kim Morton

News is facts without editorial bias. Mainstream media is any news outlet that takes money from the liberal party.

6th December 2023 at 11:16 am
Rob

Would you consider The Hub ‘news’?

6th December 2023 at 11:46 am
peter Arthur George menzies

I’m still trying to get over being able to go straight from j-school to Macleans

6th December 2023 at 7:26 am
Kim Morton

Only the ones that are willing to put the PC slant on any real news.

6th December 2023 at 11:14 am
Rob

Presumably Maclean’s, like any organization, is not staffed with only senior people.

6th December 2023 at 8:36 am
Paul

I have been advocating for health care user fees for several years. It is not Just Gen Zed, I am in my 60’s

7th December 2023 at 1:49 am
Paul

Oh crap I posted in the worn place and I can’t delete.

7th December 2023 at 1:49 am
Paul

Double crap. I neglected to proof read. I manet to write wrong not worn. Why can’t I edit or delete?

7th December 2023 at 1:51 am
Rob

Journalism is an essential public good. As such it should be funded by society. Due to its adversarial role, its funding should be adequate, locked-in long term, and firewalled from everything (people, government, business, special interests). It should have some sort of profession governance structure that provides assurance and enforcement of a baseline of conduct and output (the quality, not the content).

The local journalism outfit should not have to depend on me and a handful of others each year to pay a subscription.
The local journalism outfit should not have to farm its garnered attention for scarce advertising revenue.
The local journalism outfit should not have to hope that any current government will allocate some funds or not.
The local journalism outfit should not have to accept the largess of a wealthy benefactor or corporation.

Creating such a system with effective incentives would obviously be a massive challenge. However, the benefits would be worth it. There would be those, of course, that would attempt to game it in every way conceivable. However, democracy needs such as system, no?

On the more realistic side, I do like the idea of funding the “most basic” news gathering in an open-source way, whether CBC funding to CPAC, or something else.

6th December 2023 at 2:30 pm