Today's discussion:

Zero-emission vehicle regulations put auto industry competitiveness at risk

Canada can be a full participant in the transformation to electrification. But getting this right depends on a clear connection between Canada’s climate change goals and the economic realities of an integrated North American industry.

Read article

Comments (22)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

Brian Kingston writes about what Canada should seek in implementing a zero emissions vehicle mandate, and solutions to realistically approaching this in practice. What do you think about his proposed solutions and the points he makes?

18th December 2023 at 7:38 am
Ron Mcbride

You do realize were dealing with the most incompetent gov in history as well as the most corrupt ,my opinion the liberals will no longer be a party in 2024 ?

18th December 2023 at 7:11 am
Harriet

You are right about incompetency, and also the ones who have told the most lies. In my opinion, if they aren’t defeated in the next election, Caanada will be truly broken.

18th December 2023 at 3:12 pm
Raj B

I wouldn’t be too concerned about harmonizing these standards. EV mandates will be repealed soon enough when Biden and Trudeau are shown the door. People are waking up to climate zealotry as a cover for rent-seeking industrial subsidies.

18th December 2023 at 9:44 am
Wester

Pursuing zero emissions is, at best, foolish. I watch the transports on our highways and think of the lunacy of government policies that have no realistic chance of ever happening.

18th December 2023 at 8:45 am
Greg K

Someone voted for them. Clearly not you or me.

18th December 2023 at 3:35 pm
ianmacrae6@gmail.com

Governments can’t dictate what citizens will buy (except N. Korea). Being next to “the world’s longest undefended border” and having free trade in vehicles, I suspect we’ll see increasing numbers of used US cars & trucks being imported to Canada by dealers who can’t sell all the BEVs sitting on their lots.

This is another example of Trudeau believing he can pass a law that will change Canadian society. He never understands that Canadians enjoy their freedom to make consumption choices.

18th December 2023 at 9:54 am
A. Chezzi

I think the phrase, “micro-manage,” is key in this article. It sticks in the craw of Con, who would themselves micro-manage to impose their own agenda. Maybe it is wise to wait to read what the government proposes before judging, however, I don’t think there is anything a Liberal government could propose which would win even the faintest praise from Con. It is just in their nature to fight.

18th December 2023 at 8:54 am
Harriet

WE Conservatives do not wish to fight, if Trudeau listened to the people of Canada, WE Conservatives would not have to be fighting for our rights !

18th December 2023 at 3:19 pm
Lauraine

so what rights are cons fighting for???/ theirs to the exclusion of all others?

18th December 2023 at 6:24 pm
Kim Morton

The move makes perfect sense when viewed through the political lense, instead of the logical lense. The Laurentian Elite hate the west, And Alberta even more. This is a political move to damage the Western economy.

18th December 2023 at 8:47 am
Walter Benstead

The mandate for 100% or even a majority of Electric Vehicles is both absurd and impossible. Firstly the electrical grid cannot even remotely support it. Secondly they do not fit Canadian winters and distances. Thirdly the battery pollution is far worse than conventional vehicle emissions. bengeo@telusplanet.net

18th December 2023 at 11:19 am
Paul H.

The auto manufacturers have spent more than a hundred years developing and perfecting ICE vehicles. Why are we throwing all of that technology away.

18th December 2023 at 10:10 am
Arthur Larner

I understand the world need to reduce carbon emissions, however I don’t agree with the overreach of the Liberal government simply pushing Canadians towards the use of electronic vehicles. If the Federal Liberals were serious about emissions, why are no alternatives being considered? Why not Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles?

From what I’ve read, the infrastructure to a hydrogen fuel alternative could easily be put in place. Existing service stations could easily retrofit gas dispensers, existing gas powered vehicles could be retrofitted to run on hydrogen. Why then is the federal government pushing EV vehicles, where the infrastructure to generate and supply a reliable electric power grid to meet future demand will cost billions?

Why is the federal government paying out subsidies towards purchase of these overpriced vehicles to individuals and companies, why are companies such as Canadian Tire being subsidized to add electronic charging stations to there sites? Why are Canadian taxpayers on the hook again for this Liberal decry?

Canada is vast in space, we aren’t Europe, where counties are located hours from each other, climates here can be extremely cold throughout our winters. With current EV identified battery life span usage and mileage ranges, these current electronic vehicles aren’t feasible anywhere other than outside commuting within larger urban centres.

It appears the Liberals have there blinders when any potential carbon emission reduction alternative is suggested other than EV’s. Unfortunately our government continues to race along backing the most unpopular, costly and unproven path to reducing carbon emissions by continuing to overtax us all to support another ill conceived plan.

18th December 2023 at 1:06 pm
Lauraine

The fossil fuel industry has been on the public subsidy to the tune of billions for decades. Apparently that has been okay.

18th December 2023 at 6:26 pm
Michael F

It never ceases to amaze me that when I travel around the globe I see tradespeople, farmers and others somehow getting by without giant quad cab 4 x 4 pickups and SUVs with enormous engines. These same people have cold weather, mountains and all the other environmental conditions typical of Canada.

18th December 2023 at 1:01 pm
Richard Courtemanche

It is frustrating that Canadians must endure costly and ineffective climate change policies developed by an incompetent and corrupt government. Electric vehicle technology is far from practical and safe at this point, and these dangerous politicians should stop feeding people these scam non-solutions. Oil and gas will be needed for a long time to come and attempts to deceive people must stop.

18th December 2023 at 12:14 pm
Bruce Westmoreland

It’s all about virtue and posturing. After all, isn’t that really what politics are about? These guys are just perfecting it more. Consumer and industry will have the final say, long after Mr. Trudeau and his friends have left the main stage.

18th December 2023 at 10:47 am
Ian Gray

Reference zero emission vehicle, not sure I understood anything the writer was trying to say. He ignored completely the massive technical and material challenges to the undertaking. And of course, the political environment will change in the interim along with the almost certain related changes in dictated mandates as reality mugs ideology.

18th December 2023 at 6:25 pm
Theresa

The infrastructure isn’t there, it’s not the government’s responsibility to provide it, & there is no hurry because the World is NOT in crisis. Electric vehicles are 20 to 30% more to purchase, expensive to maintain, cannot travel as far as gasoline vehicles, batteries are expensive, batteries have exploded, vehicles have caught fire & they don’t do well in extreme temperatures. WHY would anybody want to purchase one? Since Trudeau & the NDP coalition WILL BE GONE in 2025, or sooner, this is just NOISE from these INCOMPETENT CLIMATE HYPOCRITES!!!

18th December 2023 at 3:51 pm
Greg K

Go stand on a 401 overpass anywhere in SW Ontario, watch the traffic for 5 minutes, and tell me this Trudeau lunacy will ever come true. Hybrid vehicles and investing in Hydrogen technology makes far more sense but making sense and common sense are counter to this government’s ideals.

18th December 2023 at 3:43 pm
Mike

Back in 2004 I bought a brand new F150. I converted it to Duel Fuel. Propane and Gas. I was paying 6 cent/liter. The 100l tank fill cost me 6$. We have such an abundance of Natural gas ( very portable and easy to store ) which is very clean to burn, especially in Western Canada that I don’t understand why or how this fuel for vehicles slowly died out. The conversion was cheap and if I remember correctly at some point there was a government incentive to convert. Sure you couldn’t park underground, Propane got less km/l, and at -40 c it was questionable, But then you switched to gas. Converting vehicles to duel fuel, and small trucks – delivery trucks to natural gas would be so simple. And we already have the delivery system in place for no extra cost. Why is simple so hard to do.

18th December 2023 at 6:02 pm