Today's discussion:

The CBC prioritizes allyship over objectivity in Saskatchewan parental consent coverage

Across 38 articles covering Saskatchewan's parental consent for pronoun change policy, the CBC quoted more than five times as many critics as supporters. If the CBC continues to push allyship over objectivity—and to do so in a way that leads to a less informed public—its $1.3 billion annual public subsidy will become increasingly harder to defend.

Read article

Comments (28)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

“The public debate around Saskatchewan’s pronoun policy involves complexity, competing perspectives, and evolving public opinion. It’s the sort of issue for which the role of the news media is presumably to establish and situate the facts, present the different points of view, and help Canadians work through the nuances. Yet, as my analysis shows, that’s not how the CBC’s reporting handled the issue.”

This introductory statement helps to present what the issue was with the CBC’s approach. What do you think about Dave Snow’s analysis of the CBC reporting on the pronoun policy?

20th December 2023 at 7:44 am
Daniel J Vale

Kudos to Mr. Snow for using science to empirically prove what we’ve known all along; it’s high time this institution be de-funded of tax payer dollars. If they wish to then privatize and take their chances as a competitor in the open market, then I say “have at it.”

20th December 2023 at 7:53 am
Harriet

I AGREE

20th December 2023 at 3:22 pm
Susan

The CBC lost my trust in their news reporting several years ago. I look to the news providers to obtain facts and information so that I can form my own views and perspectives. Any other perspective is derided and presented in a condescending manner. Thus I have stopped watching and listening to the CBC. It is a shame because it used to be my “go to” for facts and neutral reporting.

20th December 2023 at 7:43 am
M Gamble

Defund the biased CBC, it is, too often nothing but a mouthpiece for the government.

20th December 2023 at 7:16 am
Susan

I would agree if you are talking about the current NDP/Liberal government. The CBC was one of the Liberal’s main campaign mouthpieces in the 2015 election.

20th December 2023 at 7:46 am
Thor Ragnorson

This is an excellent article. I appreciate the methodological, empirical approach to bias measurement. Defund the CBC!

20th December 2023 at 9:31 am
Kim Morton

CBC is nothing more than the propaganda machine of the liberal party. The vast majority of programming is totall irrelevant to people outside of Toronto.

20th December 2023 at 8:41 am
RJKWells

Despite all the money they’ve received over the decades from Ottawa, it is ironic that the leading government news organ (at least when a certain party is in power) has absolutely no influence over the public they claim to inform and serve.

And to think they want more from us so they can continue giving us less.

20th December 2023 at 8:29 am
Bob

If you feel that the CBC “has absolutely no influence over the public”. Then you can explain why after his budget speech in parliament, Jim Flaherty would appear on CBC’s “As It Happens” and “The Current” to start selling it to the Canadian public.

20th December 2023 at 1:04 pm
RJKWells

Boy, you really had to reach far back for that one, eh Bob? I tend to live in the ‘here and now’ and don’t answer for Jim Flaherty. You’ll have to ask him yourself.

What I can tell you is that I’m quite impressed these days with how Pierre Poilievre handles those that the state broadcaster sends out to try and trip him up. If only they’d try a new approach, like, say, asking objective questions and then reporting in a manner that tends to lead their diminishing viewer base to their own conclusions. Doing so might see them grow and expand that base.

Sadly, they don’t. So they shouldn’t be surprised that changes will be soon coming their way. And that’ll be a good thing, Bob.

20th December 2023 at 2:20 pm
Bob

Which “state broadcasters” has Poilievre tripped up. If Poilievre were that good, he’d take on CBC interviewers in sit down free form longer interviews. Of course that means he’d have to put some meat on and explain what he’d do to address the problems he keeps talking about. It’s real easy Poilievre to put out a 15 minute video and not have to respond to questions about the claims he’s making.

20th December 2023 at 7:51 pm
Bob

Do you know who Jim Flaherty was?

20th December 2023 at 7:41 pm
Harriet

I agree, defund the Lieberal’s CBC

20th December 2023 at 3:25 pm
Michael F

Skippy loves quoting the CBC in his speeches and videos.

20th December 2023 at 6:58 pm
Wester

Those who believe the CBC is largely unbiased, are extremely biased.

20th December 2023 at 8:11 am
Phil Giddings

This headline is such an overstatement. CBC generally does a very good job. I love it!

20th December 2023 at 7:44 am
R Bharati

Nice work. Another avenue worth exploring is looking at what’s reported versus what’s not reported. When is the last time you’ve seen a CBC critical of unions or climate alarmism? The bias would be even more stark.

20th December 2023 at 12:15 pm
Bob

A couple of comments:
First, now do the same analysis for The Western Standard, Post Media, CTV and Global. And then compare your results with those for the CBC.
Secondly, after reading the article I was reminded of the quote “pot calling the kettle black”. In my view the author based his analysis on the assumption that the CBC is biased.

20th December 2023 at 9:15 am
Bob

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/sask-received-18-official-complaints-before-implementing-new-pronoun-policy-1.6691870.

From the CTV article “Jeremy Cockrill, the current education minister, has also said he’s heard from “tens of thousands” or “thousands” of parents about the need for parental consent.”

My math is a bit rusty, but there’s a big difference between 18 and 10s of thousands.

20th December 2023 at 12:29 pm
Michael F

Save your breath Bob. The comment boards here are literally not much different than the National Post. At times the grammar is a little better.

20th December 2023 at 12:51 pm
Debbie Frecon

Would of been difficult for CBC to present an unbiased report, according to information only 18 letters written to the Sask party resulted in change of policy and the party has admitted they did not consult any experts in the field. Resulting in a policy that cause confusion and fear among teachers and students

20th December 2023 at 9:11 am
A.Chezzi

I don`t know where or how Con get the idea that the CBC is anti Con. I watch Power and Politics everyday and I have yet to see David Cochrane or any other anchor lob softball questions to Liberals or the NDP. Con continually refuse to appear on the program because they claim their point of view is sidelined or criticized. Refusing to appear just says to me that Con refuse to acknowledge that Canadians are entitled to know what they think. Poilievre claims to be the defender of rights but he ignores the rights of those who might disagree with him. I am not surprised that he chose Rex Murphy for his year end interview. Murphy is a great ally of the Con and Poilievre has nothing to be afraid of with Murphy asking easy questions and not challenging Poilievre. The panel which appears on Power and Politics has a Con representative, although not an official voice of the party, and they get the same air time as other panelists. It seems unless you agree with the Con, you are bias and ought to be silenced.

20th December 2023 at 4:30 pm
Ted Kelly

A well researched article which confirmed what has been apparent to any critical thinker for years. CBC needs a massive overhaul not only to correct its lack of objectivity, but to improve the quality, which except for a few radio programs and presenters such as Nora Young, Mary Hynes, Nahla Ayed and Ian Hanomansing is appalling.

20th December 2023 at 10:32 am
Jo Wearing

The problem here is that reporting on polls by CBC or others is seen as the critical issue here at all. As with any minority issue this issue is complex. Why were questions not raised about why parents did not already know the kids were struggling with their identity, what help would parents need to have conversations with the kids, the need for the law seems to assume that this information is being willfully withheld from parents. On what was that assumption based?

20th December 2023 at 11:00 am
Paul

I didn’t hear the CBC say much about the pronoun legislation. They reported it but cited no pro or con commentary from anyone. Perhaps because I use CBC Radio One. Perhaps the TV news was more involved. I have hated TV news of any kind for at least 3 decades. It was prone to constant sensationalism.

20th December 2023 at 11:55 pm
Alan Murdock

Why should we be surprised at this approach by CBC?. They have long been a supporter of Liberal and NDP approaches and political philosophy. And good ness knows, the Liberals have been key to setting CBC budgets for most of its existence. It’s a cultural issue. So long as we recognize that fact, we can understand their bent on headlines and priorities in reporting and editorializing.

20th December 2023 at 9:41 pm
L Shandro

One of the best articles I’ve read in a while! This is exactly what we need more of, solid anaysis to show the true nature of our “news” – political propaganda in this case. It’s even worse than I thought. They actually get away with this, unbelieveable.

20th December 2023 at 8:28 pm