Today's discussion:

What a British ambassador’s secret report on Canada reveals 40 years later

The Wilson letter is a treasure trove of observations made by an outsider looking in. It describes Canada’s international exceptionalism, but also exposes our mediocrity. It is worth revisiting because it tells us things we need to hear about ourselves.

Read article

Comments (12)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
Lynne Gill

No more Migrants/Immigration, PERIOD; most especially from the Middle East, China and India. We neither look nor sound like Canadians and the men fought for us any longer. I would appreciate sending huge swaths of Immigrants back to where they came from; if they want a better country, make their own. And most certainly do not take in any Palestinians. For God’s sake and for our sake let us rebuild and enjoy our own culture for a change. Many of us will no longer vote for anyone choosing more or even any more Immigration from these countries named above, please. I am a senior and am not afraid to say these truths and care not what names I may be called. The time has come to stand up and fight for what is ours. Amen.

8th January 2024 at 7:15 am
BobSt

If anything, Canada’s condition has worsened on all points addressed by McMoran since he jotted down this thoughts in 84. It is a shame that a country with Canada’s has become a global laughing stock . A country that turns its back on its ally’s please for energy when we have an abundance. We would be hard pressed to defend ourselves and can barely support due to the abysmal state of our once respected military. A divisive federal government that is a global laughing stock yet has the audacity to lecture other countries on how to manage their affairs. Our young people have little hope of owning their own house, people struggle to buy groceries and gas, taxes on everything are going up due to an ineffectual and punishing carbon tax. I fear that Anglin’s bleak prediction for 2024 will indeed play out. But we must not lose hope…..

8th January 2024 at 9:48 am
Vicki Dutton

In the rear view mirror we view a nation that was built by entrepreneurs and people willing to leave their homeland to build a better place. So much to be proud of, we have built an enviable nation. The question is: will future Canada continue to be that place? We remain a colonial nation with overpowering central control. Will the weakest link be the potential for tyranny by the PMO office that is enabled by our weak constitution, the lack of checks and balances on power and no effective bicameral process which enables the representation of Provinces in Federal legislation and rural citizens alike.

8th January 2024 at 11:01 am
A.Chezzi

The author of this letter criticizes the government of the day for cronyism. Every government does the same and it is too funny coming from a man who represents a country in which the class system was still very persistent at that time.
This article speaks about the centralization of power in the hands of an elite, the same danger exists with a Poilievre led government. His statement, ” I will cut the carbon tax whether you like it or not,” shows that the will govern by fiat and create an elite of his making. Plurality will not be a value in a Poilievre government.
That has all the makings of an authoritarian rule.
The emergence of China is a fact and we ignore China at our own peril. Better to find a way to co exist with this emerging power than to butt our heads against it. A Poilievre led government would fight China based on an outdated ideology causing more harm than good for Canada. Again, the Con are a batch of contradictions. They sold off the wheat board to the Saudis, an authoritarian government with no regard for human rights. The Con claim to champion the right of the oppressed in China but say nothing of the Saudis. The sale also hurt farmers which makes me wonder just how concerned the Con are about protecting Canadian industry and agriculture.
Immigration, well if you read The Crisis of Democratic Capitalism, by Martin Wolf who was on the HUB last April, he points out that immigration has not increased dramatically over the past decade. Canada has had and still has a stringent immigration policy.
I would suggest that if you are interested in the current state of world affairs, read Martin Wolf’s book.

8th January 2024 at 9:44 am
Lynne

i like Poilievre in many ways but I hear you.He does make me a little nervous as we already have a dictator whom thinks he”s ruler supreme and I don’t want to go this route again. A democracy is to be ruled by the people not by the people they elect. We are to be asked rather than told what we want for this country.

8th January 2024 at 11:03 am
Lynne

Wow.What insight and really nothing has changed that much. I guess Wilson was right we are an untalented bunch in Canada. Maybe it’s just Canadians don’t speak or act on their truth. They always seem to hold back as if being polite.but I think it’s basted on fear. Fear of being too forward.rude or maybe wrong, What ever we have to quit being followers and act on our own instincts to move forward and make a difference in this country.

8th January 2024 at 10:36 am
Michael F

New year but the same old vitriol and thinly guised racism.

8th January 2024 at 9:10 pm
RJKWells

And yet, here you are…

8th January 2024 at 10:23 pm
Michael F

Someone needs to call it out or do you prefer to exist in an echo chamber? I read and participate in many news sources to get some balance. Do you?

9th January 2024 at 1:51 am
The Hub Staff

Thank you all for contributing to Hub Forum.

8th January 2024 at 3:08 pm
Raj B

The author conflates environmental protection with climate hysteria. People had more sense back then than to hyperventilate about carbon dioxide, especially coming off a few decades of global cooling.

8th January 2024 at 1:34 pm
Kim Morton

In 2019, a horrifying 88 percent of Indigenous youth admitted to secure custody in Saskatchewan were Indigenous.
Have to wonder about this gem from the article. What, exactly, are the other 12%?
Other than that, I wouldn’t worry too much what an entitled poodle thinks about Canadian politics.

8th January 2024 at 9:50 am