Today's discussion:

Trudeau’s empty-calories economic agenda is failing Canada

Trudeau's economic policies have artificially stimulated economic activity by bolstering consumer demand, but they represent the policymaking equivalent of empty calories. They have failed to make the economy structurally stronger or Canadian households any richer.

Read article

Comments (27)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

Sean Speer writes about the Trudeau government and the ’empty calorie’ policies that have failed the economy structurally; what are your thoughts on his points? What stood out to you from his arguments?

18th January 2024 at 7:09 am
Paul Attics

I will leave the intensive versus extensive growth debates to the economists.

The decision to not align people-coming-in (immigration, students, temporary workers) with the current infrastructure and resources (healthcare, schools, housing) is a massive and ongoing failure of management on the leadership that controls the flow, the current Federal government.

How is this assertion wrong?

18th January 2024 at 8:48 am
Brian Mellor

Canada’s living standards have been in freefall ever since the federal Gov. initiated their immigration policy.
House prices increased 300%, rents rose 275%, home insurance rose 25%,cars rose 120%, property taxes rose 25%, wages stagnated, Immigrants are being paid less, health care is in a shambles, there are 800,000 homeless, government spent % 1Bn. on hotel rooms for them and it’s not enough, combined Federal and Prov. debt will be $2 trillion this year, the Feds spent $44 Bn. to service the debt, now they need to spend $billions extra on fixing their mistakes and it’s too late. Developers can’t build affordable housing, Affordable housing needs to be $200,000 to $250,000 and they can’t build them for less than $400,000. Only small prefab homes that look like garden sheds are affordable.

18th January 2024 at 7:54 am
Aunty liberal

This topic is complex with fraught with pitfalls and very few roses.
We have have a growing indigenous population that refuses to go to work along with a seemingly social dislike for menial labor. Hence a labor shortage in those areas that are happily being filled by immigration. No mentions that most immigrants that fill those positions move on to something better.
Then we get to the housing issue and highly increased cost of living created by the village idiot and his band of followers to increase the tax income so they can waste that money on beating their chest and attempting to brainwash the public.

18th January 2024 at 1:58 pm
John Trainor

The complicating factor when considering these arguments or theories over the state of and reasons for Canada’s horrendous economic situation, is an assumption that there are educated sane adults at the helm of the Liberal party. As we heard directly from his masters voice, the budget will balance itself and the economy is the last thing on his mind….so what exactly IS on his mind? My opinion is Trudeau is committing economic treason on the country he famously referred to as having no culture of its own. This guy and his band of hand picked miscreants has an evil core and expecting good-for-the-country decisions to come out of his schleratic mind is a waste of time……Pierre Pollievre gives hope this insanity may end.

18th January 2024 at 2:27 pm
Michael F

Finish the quote you so love to use.

The quote is full is: “the commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy and the budget will balance itself”. But nuance and context has never been the strength of right wing conservatives. What happened to any sort of moderates in this country? And if you think Skippy has some sort of magic wand that can instantly make Canada a Leave it Beaver white utopia you are delusional.

18th January 2024 at 7:42 pm
bengeo@telusplanet.net

The massive unregulated flow of foreign nationals into our country is destroying our society and culture. The funding for free housing, food etc puts undo strain on both our economy , work ethic and societal values. Meanwhile the path for legal ,constructive ,regulated immigrants has become ever more difficult. It is an insane political strategy awaiting bombs and explosions.

18th January 2024 at 9:58 am
Paul Attics

How exactly is it “unregulated”? How do you define this?
By “massive”, what is the difference in numbers between regulated and unregulated?
How do you get to bombs and explosions?
As you will see in another post, I am in agreement that the number of people incoming is woefully mismatched with our society’s ability to accommodate them. As far as I understand it, the vast majority are “regulated”.

18th January 2024 at 10:15 am
Kim Morton

My definition is that “regulated” are those who have skills Canada needs, have applied to become Canadians at an Embassy in the country they currently reside in and have the financial resources to immigrate. All the rest are unregulated.

18th January 2024 at 10:38 am
John Trainor

I believe i read recently there are 800 thousand student visas……800 thousand foreign ‘students’…..how many universities and secondary institutions are there in CAnada?

18th January 2024 at 2:36 pm
Paul Attics

What about temporary foreign workers and students?

In terms of a definition of “regulated”, I was only thinking about this definition:
“control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.”.
However,
“control or maintain the rate or speed of (a machine or process) so that it operates properly.”
is also a definition of ‘regulated’, and would arguably apply in your context.

18th January 2024 at 11:01 am
a Turner

I am getting very disappointed in your publication. It was billed as a place for open discussion. It is rapidly becoming a place for the more radical conservatives to shill their nonsense.

18th January 2024 at 2:28 pm
Paul Attics

If you are referring to the level of discourse in this forum, it is not The Hub’s fault. It just reveals how radicalized, angry, extreme, irrational and, above all, uncivil a significant segment of our fellow citizens are.

It is not limited to either end of the progressive-conservative spectrum, but like in the US, the conservative end is *currently* over-represented at the “nutty fringe”. In a time of unprecedented incredible and rapid change, perhaps that is not surprising.

18th January 2024 at 3:03 pm
Michael F

The Hub keeps pushing buttons with their clearly conservative bias and disdain for the current Liberal government. Being funded partially by Alberta oil money I expected it to a degree but I to am disappointed. There are some people here that deep down the well of absolutely baseless conspiracy theories. I used to enjoy Rudyard Griffiths as host of the Munk Debates and respected him as a community leader in political thought and debate. The fact he has anything to do with this hot mess is very disappointing.

18th January 2024 at 7:54 pm
K

The CBC is completely in bed with this Liberal Government. Pathetic!

18th January 2024 at 1:25 pm
Kim Morton

Problem 1. Trudeau and his ilk are globalists. Their whole agenda is diametrically opposite to what is good for Canada and Canadians.

18th January 2024 at 10:46 am
Michael F

What exactly is a globalist? Someone who believes in trade with other countries? Respects treaties and international bodies? Or is ‘globalist’ just some sort of tinfoil hat wearing shorthand for complex issues that you don’t understand?

18th January 2024 at 8:19 pm
John Trainor

Exactly….squeezing a lemon and expecting honey.

18th January 2024 at 2:40 pm
Ian Gray

With respect to the Canadian Forces it would be refreshing to see serious commenters, journalists and others opining to drop the damed term, ‘culture change’. Like, ‘reconcilliation’ it has become near meaningless since there is no clear definition and no end point defined. They become nothing more than clubs to, in the case of the latter, seek more concessions and money and in the case of the former, to continue undermining the morale and operational effectiveness of our military.

18th January 2024 at 9:55 am
Richard Courtemanche

As a globalist and favourite mentee of the evil Schwab and admirer of communism, nothing the right honourable psychopath does is in the interest of Canadians, only destruction. It’s a waste of time to focus on individual items while the entire ship sinks at the hands of saboteurs, too many of whom have foreign allegiances. People should know what is happening now and stop believing in false hopes and lies. If only all prime ministers collaborated before it was too late, or even already! Courage, please!

18th January 2024 at 9:36 am
Paul Attics

I tried to find something redeeming in this post. Since I didn’t I will go with a snarky reply…

This post covers the spectrum of what scientists formally call “wackadoodle”. These attributes are hyperbole, conspiracy, cataclysmic stakes, absolutism, projection, referencing enemies, ascribing malice to political opponents, shadowy entities, urgency to act, vague yet strident claims, and so on.

If this post is willful exaggeration, try a little subtlety. If this post is sincere, seek help.

18th January 2024 at 9:52 am
Michael F

It’s sadly very clear this individual is unhinged.

18th January 2024 at 8:10 pm
Leonard Poetschke

I believe cbc television should be closed down but KEEP THE RADIO – both stations.
Sincerely
Leonard Poetschke
London ON.

18th January 2024 at 7:47 am
RJKWells

Leonard, you appear to be a day late with your comment and a dollar short.

Which is exactly where this country will be if Ottawa doesn’t wake up and see the need for a course correction to address our declining GDP numbers.

18th January 2024 at 8:00 am
Kim Morton

You know you are way too far out in the boonies when all you can get on the radio is CBC. You know you have been there too long when you start to like it. CBC radio only has two things, misinformation passed off as news, and irrelevant talk shows mostly designed to take Ontario’s message to the better parts of the country.

18th January 2024 at 10:34 am
Al metz

Everything he does goes against Canada

18th January 2024 at 12:55 pm
Ray Howarth

Why fund it at all? The CBC has made itself irrelevant!

18th January 2024 at 5:32 pm