Today's discussion:

How would Poilievre govern?

Pundits assume a politician can’t be a populist and an intellectual, a savvy communicator and a policy wonk, a firebrand and a thinker. Just because Poilievre’s slogans resonate doesn’t mean there is no substance behind them, and just because they’re compelling to regular people, doesn’t mean they’re not informed by good policy.

Read article

Comments (67)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

Thank you for contributing to Hub Forum. For more of Ginny’s commentary on Pierre Poilievre, check out this article: https://thehub.ca/2023-09-11/ginny-roth-being-boring-isnt-in-poilievres-dna-and-thank-god-for-that/

31st January 2024 at 1:50 pm
Mark

When one selects a leader who is intelligent, well-spoken, thoughtful, compassionate, creative, and charismatic, one will have selected the best leader. Our current leader does not possess these qualities; hence, why we’re seeing our country being rapidly destroyed (i.e. JT does not have the understanding or the experience to right the ship…he is NOT a leader). We need a leader like Poilievre right now, and he’s very much the right person for the job (and the rest of the country knows it, and feels it, too). I believe 100% that Poilievre would govern this country the way it’s supposed to be governed: with common sense.

31st January 2024 at 7:13 am
Paul Attics

He may well prove to be, however, such absolute certainty of belief is, by definition, intellectually suspect.

31st January 2024 at 8:24 am
Cathy

Would love to learn more of how/why Pollievre will be great leader. I’m interested in a platform, policy and application. With minority government – it’s ideal time to collaborate and negotiate. I have not seen any of this which I do believe ifs part of being a great leader.
The part that actually scares me is the affiliation/appealing to/ with Uber religious and far right. I’m more in favour of Mulroney era conservatism.

31st January 2024 at 11:52 am
Michael F

Moderate conservatives have been driven to the sidelines in this latest iteration of the conservatives in Canada.

31st January 2024 at 12:17 pm
Kim

My bet is Probably the best government since Harper. It would be an extremely difficult task to be worse than what we have now.

31st January 2024 at 8:39 am
John Wiliamson

Canada hasn’t had an effective opposition party for many years…So someone actually performing the role of presenting a cogent joined up alternative is startling to many people and very threatening to a lot of interests that are benefiting from crony politics. Canada by all measures is suffering and they alone calls for a new set of ideas and approaches. Most of what I hear Pierre speak about make sense and have worked demonstrably on other times and places better for ordinary people. Politics seems to have devolved into parties telling you what you want to hear to get elected then doing a smash and grab to ordinary working people in order to benefit their special interests. I’d like parties to remember they they’re elected to improve the lot of everyone.

31st January 2024 at 9:09 am
David Foster

Converting slogans into effective policy is rarely as straightforward as Mr. Poilievre tends to suggest, and he needs to be perhaps a bit more circumspect in this regard.

As one example, I’d look at his housing policy suggestions, “build homes, not bureaucracy’. Great slogan. But most of the bureaucracy involved is at the municipal level, while some is at the provincial level – not within the federal wheelhouse.

Mr. Poilievre lays out an approach that would ‘reward’ cities that met specific housing start numbers, and punish those which fell short. Yet he is also on record as wanting to be more respectful of jurisdictional boundaries than the current government. With regard to his housing policy, it seems hard to square one policy position with the other.

The sad reality is that our current housing situation results from decades of government fumbling and myopia. The disparity between house prices and income began in the early 2000’s and has continued, unabated, through four federal administrations, including under P.M. Harper. While the Trudeau government has managed to turbo-charge things with increased immigration during a period of (now reversed) extremely low interest rates may be the icing on the cake, the problem long predates this specific policy fumble. Unfortunately, it is not a problem that will see a quick reversal. So Mr. Poilievre might want to be just a bit more cautious about positioning around this issue. Although I fully sympathize with anyone who can’t resist hurling verbal bricks at a federal government that is as economically illiterate as our current one.

31st January 2024 at 8:50 am
Bj Rodgers

PP, with his sing-song sloganeering, assumes his acolytes will not bother to learn facts. No one discusses how it was many ‘conservative’ premiers that were screaming for greater immigration numbers…wit out solid plans for housing in their own jurisdictions.

31st January 2024 at 11:33 am
Michael F

Facts, context and nuance are hard. The Bros like easy slogans and sound bites like ‘Axe the Tax”.

31st January 2024 at 12:27 pm
Deborah Ketchabaw

I think he will be a good Prime Minister. He’s educated in politics so he understands how to run a country unlike Trudeau who is nothing but a drama teacher and obviously wasn’t even good at that since he did it less than 2 years.

31st January 2024 at 7:13 am
Paul Attics

PM Trudeau has a long established record to criticize now, and there is just so much to criticize. It is odd to only refer to his pre-political life to make a case against him.

Official Opposition Leader Poilievre does not have an impressive background (education, experience, accomplishments) outside of his political life. It is hard to know just how effective he would be governing. Campaigning and opposition are quite different from governing effectively.

Ideology and specific likely policy aside, it is up-in-the-air as to whether he would be more or less effective than PM Trudeau. If I had to bet, I would tentatively go with more. The bar is low.

31st January 2024 at 7:24 am
Rick

Give him 4 years to fix Canada inside and out.He can’t make Canada worse than it is right now.

31st January 2024 at 10:58 am
Paul Attics

Come the next Federal election, especially if PM Trudeau is actually going to run again, he will have a very compelling case for change.

31st January 2024 at 11:22 am
mike

Trudeau may be a good “politician” but a terrible Manager and Leader of Canada. There is a good reason why managers get payed more than a politician. The top Head City manager in Calgary gets paid apx $50,000 more per year than the Mayor. I will take a manager any day over a politician. A year after the next election will show the people if we finally have a manager or just another politician.

31st January 2024 at 12:21 pm
Michael F

Knows how to run a country? He’s been a lifelong politician who has never worked in the private sector. The ultimate elite insider that he rails against in his speeches.

31st January 2024 at 11:44 am
Lauraine

Just how is he educated to run anything?

31st January 2024 at 3:54 pm
Barry Baldwin

This assumes a direct correlation between understanding the world of politics and the world outside of politics. Both Justin and Pierre understand the world of politics but the former’s life outside of that world had little relevance to that of the majority of Canadians and the latter has yet to experience that world.

31st January 2024 at 2:45 pm
Dauna Crooks

Mr. Polievre casts the retro 50’s picture we no longer live. Conservative governments have consistently cut funding to health and education in essence cutting rights of Canadians to access in both areas. I have heard nothing substantive from Mr. P regarding these areas or anything else that matters to Canadians. He obviously does not understand the obligations of all levels of government in relation to housing, healthcare or education. People forget that Trudeau got us through Covid, Trump, tariffs, war etc. and representing Canada worldwide. I cannot see Mr. P having the savy to do the same.

31st January 2024 at 9:43 am
Lynne

Trudeu did not get us through COVID. He hurt so many people and depleted our economy, we are now $2 Trillion in debt with high interest rates. We have the lowest GDP rate per person in at least 40 years.
We have 0 growth rate which builds a country and gives it’s people a higher standard of living. Trudeau caused most of this with his outrageous spending and adding more government employees than we have seen in decades. Trudeau has depleated everything Canada once stood for. We were a great trading partner well Trudeau hates revenue but loves taxation so he put an end to that.

31st January 2024 at 12:47 pm
Paul Attics

Alas, this is a typical LPC support position….despite claims of “hearing and seeing”, just as ludicrously slanted as the typical CPC supporter position.
Throw off your mental partisan shackles fellow citizens!

31st January 2024 at 10:05 am
P. Lang

And your position is typical unsubstantiated PC rhetoric. You throw out the usual claim that anyone who isn’t a PC supporter can’t see the truth when they are just disagreeing with you. The facts are indisputable. PC governments cause debt and their policies overwhelmingly favour business at the direct expense of the voting public.

31st January 2024 at 11:04 am
Lynne

Do you know what our debit is right now? We are $2 trillion in debt with high interest rates what do you think that will cost Canadians? Yes COVID played it’s part but most of this debit that I have never scene in my 80 years was caused by Mr. Trudeaus outrageous spending spree. Too many to mention here. Google it!

31st January 2024 at 12:53 pm
Paul Attics

My point is explicitly bipartisan in my criticism. Read it again. You are just making my point.

31st January 2024 at 11:29 am
Bj Rodgers

Please, do not use PC…it is now the CPC (Convoy/Conspiracy Party of Canada aka: Reformacons). The once decent respectable PC was murdered long ago.

31st January 2024 at 11:25 am
Michael F

I do not disregard the ugly of ‘my team’. Yes of course there have been mistakes and missteps, it happens to all governments. I personally believe Mark Carney would be an excellent candidate for leader of the liberals and would mop the floor with Skippy on any debate on economics.

31st January 2024 at 12:22 pm
Michael F

Are you denying that the current government didn’t have to deal with these tumultuous disruptions? Take a look at what is going on the world. England had a government that lasted a month and the leader almost crashed their economy and currency. Our economic fundamentals are better than most of the G7 coming out of the pandemic. Governing from the opposition bench is notoriously easy.

31st January 2024 at 11:05 am
Paul Attics

The Trudeau government has been a mix of good, bad, and ugly. Yes, there is complex context for all of it. Chronically and reflexively cherry picking the good and ignoring the bad and ugly of “your team” is bad citizenship.

My point is that this occurs with intense partisans of any and all political persuasions, as per my above comment.

31st January 2024 at 11:35 am
Peter Campbell

What war did Trudeau save us from? The only way he represented us globally was poorly to say the least.

31st January 2024 at 3:01 pm
Richard Courtemanche

It is questionable whether it is still possible for an elected government to follow a trend whereby politicians look after themselves rather than serving the people. The previous party did it, so why not us?

However, the priority now is to get rid of what currently exists as quickly as possible. It will be a challenge to restore true democracy and overall stability to this country. Our destiny must therefore rest with Poilievre to lead his party honourably.

31st January 2024 at 9:30 am
Paul Attics

What specifically will be done differently to restore our “true” democracy? Can you explain in a sentence or two the delta between when it was “true” and now?…

31st January 2024 at 9:58 am
Rick

With Trump in the White House and black face as PM ,Canada will be a 3rd world country in no time.

31st January 2024 at 11:06 am
Paul Attics

“a 3rd world country in no time.”
SMH
Why does opposition so often have to be thought of in such ridiculously dire terms?

31st January 2024 at 11:26 am
Richard Courtemanche

Just a sample to give you a hint which I’m surprised to have to explain… loss of freedom of speech through various censorship; WEF’s manipulation of the “useful idiot” to ultimately enslave Canadians. Have you missed Karl Schwarb’s speeches? Essentially, a totalitarian government caving or more like collaborating with Marxist ideologies.

31st January 2024 at 6:48 pm
Bj Rodgers

Please, explain in detail how ‘democracy’ has changed in Canada. What ‘true democracy’ needs to be restored?

31st January 2024 at 11:27 am
Lynne

Freedom of speech. Bills C18 and !!! Freedom to disagree with government. Truckers rally.Jailed people and froze bank accounts! Without allowing a trial. This is Tyranny. Look it up! Ön Tyranny by Timothy Snyder”Good Read. Trudeau is trying to destroy democracy piece by piece. Watch and Listen Closely! Freedom is very easy to Loose!

31st January 2024 at 1:06 pm
Bj Rodgers

LOL…your MAGA hat is on too tight!! Anyone that supported the Freedumb convoy is essentially a duped traitor to Canada!

31st January 2024 at 3:16 pm
Paul Attics

One is living an embarrassingly naïve life to believe that Canadians live under tyranny. Just glance at most countries in the world to see what real tyranny is. There are not many countries in which you can sue the government, let alone win, if your case is just.

One can, no, should, be critical and grateful for Canada at the same time. It is the only way we will get better.

31st January 2024 at 1:22 pm
A. Chezzi

Poilievre uses the imagination of death to communicate. He knows people are attracted by bad news so he engages in words like corruption, elites, bias and broken to engage his supporters. He uses these to deflect from his policies which would curtail workers rights, environmental protections, social safety nets and communal responsibility. These are the true conservative doctrines which he has always espoused. Look at his voting record if you want to see how he would govern. He put forth legislation to curb voting rights to ensure that the Conservatives would benefit. He is much like the Republicans who are redrawing electoral maps in the U S to favour their party in elections. In government, he would use the same rhetoric to deflect from the policies of cuts and curtailment. Yes, he believes in small government and it was small government which resulted in the listeriosis issue under Harper and the Walkerton situation under Harris. Yes, he believes in the free market and he would do nothing to curtail the excess profits of grocery stores, although he talks affordability. Poilievre is a savvy communicator no doubt, and as the author suggests about looking up his record, people need to do their research to really see what Poilievre is about.

31st January 2024 at 7:53 am
BobSt

The bot is at it again…. And on top of all this you consistently use to the old liberal/NDP worn out scare tactic of comparing American politics to here in Canada. Canadians are tired of this rhetoric and this is one of the reasons Pierre is so far ahead in the polls.

31st January 2024 at 10:39 am
Michael F

Care to comment on that whack job Leslyn Lewis then please? Do you think Canada should abandon the UN? Skippy has plenty of skeletons in his closet and they will come out soon enough.

31st January 2024 at 11:12 am
BJ Rodgers

Yes, Skippy has plenty of skeletons in his closet and they will come out soon enough. I thin the other parties are smart enough to keep their powder dry until we get closer to an actual election. Pp’s closet could burst at the seams with all his skeletons!

31st January 2024 at 11:37 am
Bj Rodgers

Exactly!!! Well said! The truth about PP is already out there

31st January 2024 at 11:35 am
Michael F

He has been notably silent on Bill C-58 the anti-scab legislation. So much for really being a friend to the working man/woman and against special interests.

31st January 2024 at 11:10 am
P. Lang

He’s got nothing to show after 20 years of public service. Why should we expect him to do something useful now? And, why would anyone think a PC government will do well? Historically, despite being the party that is rumoured to be more fiscally responsible, they consistently generate more debt than the other parties. There is no evidence that a change to this person or this party will improve Canada’s lot.

31st January 2024 at 11:00 am
Michael F

But he ditched the glasses, got an expensive hair cut and some turtle necks! Plus lots of snappy slogans. That surely is enough to make a great leader. His handlers have done a great job of gussying up a person who many people on the hill for years have said was an intolerable jerk.

31st January 2024 at 12:31 pm
Bj Rodgers

Referring to him as an ‘intolerable jerk’ is being kind!

31st January 2024 at 3:18 pm
Michael F

He’s got that briefcase and bowtie narc in grade 8 vibe.

31st January 2024 at 3:46 pm
Bj Rodgers

Look at his voting record during his 2 decades as a career politician (soft handed man baby that has NEVER worked a real a day in his life)..also, PP the perpetual hypocrite used to bash career politicians. PP’s voting record tells his truth about how he would govern…like Trump wannabe bully he is!

31st January 2024 at 11:21 am
Al Raftis

It is totally reasonable that the opposition party does not put out a platform until part of an election process. Conservatives that are being pushed by the press on what cuts they will make, or where is your climate policy should be aggressive in their response that no opposition party puts out their platform until election time. Also their response to (you did this or didn’t do that) needs also to be simple – that was then, this is now – things have changed significantly. Unfortunately, Sheer and others that appear on political shows are not very good communicators.

31st January 2024 at 9:53 am
Michael F

Canadians can’t expect to know where the conservative party definitively stands on important issues until an election is imminent?

31st January 2024 at 11:15 am
Cliff Morrison

Since one of the main planks in his platform is axe the tax (carbon tax) what does he have as a climate plan? With people not paying the tax they will not be receiving the rebates but many who receive the rebate pay less than the rebate into the tax.

31st January 2024 at 2:55 pm
Lynned

I find Poilievre to be straight forward in his speaking. Unlike Trudeau whom says nothing, just people bashes or claims what great things he’s done for Canadians. Now that’s laughable!

31st January 2024 at 12:35 pm
Stephen Wood

Accommodation of citizens is growing, all the while a feudalism in Canada is taking root. Objectivity of the required is evaporating. Subjectivity of appeasement (WOKE) is transferring from the many to the few, thereby producing the evolution of a dictated dependency on the government for all citizen needs. Digital health identification commences the process.
Canada is broken. Objectivity in understanding the required glue is a must. A larger picture exists. Canada come together.

31st January 2024 at 9:23 am
Paul Attics

Is this some kind of interpretive political poetry?
What are you saying, seriously?
Please reword for those that don’t subscribe to whatever YouTube channel(s) and or TwitterX account uses this “phraseology”…

31st January 2024 at 9:55 am
Jeff Hanks

Pollievre still has no substance and is still a lightweight intellectually. This article offers nothing such a waste of my intellect reading it. Good thing getting rid of infrastructure back bad cutting govt dollars for every dollar spent.

31st January 2024 at 7:57 am
PAul Attics

— me leisurely crunching on an apple —
Can you give an example, any example, of him being an intellectual lightweight?…
— crunch, crunch —

This article is a partisan press release but any due criticism of Mr. Pollievre should be specific.

*Sorry for the double post, the text that was in angled brackets got filtered out in the first one.

31st January 2024 at 8:52 am
Michael F

A partisan press release masquerading as news. That should be The Hub’s new corporate slogan.

31st January 2024 at 11:24 am
Bj Rodgers

‘The Hub’ is really just ‘The Rebel’ or ‘True North’, but using bigger ‘Ten Dollar” words.

31st January 2024 at 4:32 pm
Lynne

Have you read todays Hub ? Well they have a very good report on what kind of leader PP would be. You read it and come to your own conclusions.

31st January 2024 at 1:13 pm
Paul Attics

Can you give an example, any example, of him being an intellectual lightweight?

This article is a partisan press release but any due criticism of Mr. Pollievre should be specific.

31st January 2024 at 8:50 am
Michael F

Well we could start with him fawning over crypto currency before it crashed. And him marching with the brotesters in Ottawa, would that not have been a slap in the face to all the people in healthcare who worked themselves into the ground during the pandemic? Ignoring the scientific consensus on many of the issues during the pandemic to play to his base was either intellectually lightweight at best or grossly cynical and manipulative at worst.

31st January 2024 at 11:19 am
Lynne

The Trucker’s were protesting Canadians not having a choice. Democracy is about Choice even in a pandemic. No Democratic Government Dictates what you can or cannot put in your body. No Democratic Governments prevents you from moving Freely! Freedom is a very easy thing to Loose. In My 80 year I’ve been through Polio, diphtheria .and measles out break and never once was the county Closed For Business. Why was this! Flu epidemics many times, no closures. I rest my case. THINK!

31st January 2024 at 1:20 pm
Bj Rodgers

According to PP…electricians harness the power of lightning….

31st January 2024 at 11:39 am
Larry Kazdan

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2023/09/08/Defeat-Poilievre-Politics-Abandonment/

“In Pierre Poilievre, Canada has a radical free market zealot whose policies will be disastrous for the poor, working and middle classes.

Indeed, if the Conservatives are victorious in the next election, Poilievre will be the most right-wing prime minister in our modern history. Think the gutting of social welfare from the Paul Martin budgets of the early 1990s meets a supercharged dismantling of the fiscal capacity of government à la Stephen Harper.

Poilievre, to the credit of his communications team, has managed to dress up his right-wing program with populist rhetoric that resonates during a time of rising economic insecurity. But scratch the surface and the neoliberal playbook of slashing social spending, tax cuts for business and the wealthy, and abandoning people to market inequities is plain to see.”

1st February 2024 at 3:48 am
Paul

Each day the CPC sends an email begging for money. The emails are full of sensationalist claptrap. No substance whatsoever. I usually reply to the email suggesting they stop with the tedious, juvenile, sensationalist BS and begin to tell me what they are going to do when in government.
So far they have not changed their ways.

1st February 2024 at 12:23 am
Gavin Marshall

Two comments. 1. Like Harper, and maybe even Diefenbaker before him, Mr. Poilievre will face strong headwinds from an entrenched bureaucracy, with its own agendas (plural), but with an obviously Liberal leaning that will perceive Poilievre and his initiatives as shots fired by the enemy. To overcome this will be an enormous challenge. Might it make sense to conscript some horse whisperers from the sane side of the bureaucracy? David Dodge (monetary), Robert Asselin (fiscal policy), and Vincent Rigby (national security). Dodge has been repeating many Conservative Party economic points recently, and the others fully understand the scope of Canada’s fall. RA and VR appear to have fled the insanity of Justin’s government. But most important, all know how to work the bureaucracy – PP will need that. 2. A Conservative government must commit to 2% of GDP for defence, at some point in the future, but soon. PP should make that statement fast – now. The alternative is a transition where a new Conservative government is hamstrung on US-Cda relations form the start. How angry at Cda does PP want the USA to be when he governs? By committing to our friends and values, we also watch our backs. USMCA is up for review in 2026. How will that go with President Trump (?) in the White House, if we are still freeloading on security?

31st January 2024 at 4:09 pm