Today's discussion:

Have journalism schools failed a generation of students?

Today's journalism schools act like they have cornered the moral market. They produce young journalists who struggle to understand or appreciate any competition to the “progressive” worldview. This “new journalism” education means students are often not ready to practice their trade in the real world.

Read article

Comments (28)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
The Hub Staff

Managing Editor Harrison Lowman writes on the politicizing of journalism and how journalists need to check their biases and “strive for objectivity.” What are your thoughts on these arguments and the concept of “new journalism”?

7th February 2024 at 7:36 am
Harriet

CBC should be unfunded by the government. As it is now, they only speak for the government & ignore panellists who have any view but theirs.

7th February 2024 at 9:05 am
Rodgers

WOW…that is just plain old bs!

7th February 2024 at 5:58 pm
Kim

While far left journalists have always put dogma ahead of facts, it is difficult for a journalist with integrity to report honesty when their pay is dependent on the largesse of a political party in power. All we have for lamestream media is variants of CBC .

7th February 2024 at 8:49 am
Michael F

Which network had to settle a huge defamation lawsuit for repeatedly lying?

7th February 2024 at 9:50 am
Paul Attics

What about journalists that put dogma ahead of facts rather than just the “far left” ones…or perhaps you are just fine the agreeable dogma?

7th February 2024 at 9:31 am
Peter Menzies

A fine pulling back of the veil that shows that – if anything- Paikin pulled his punches. Some hard conversations are going to be needed if journalism is going to save itself from the neojournalists who refuse to serve their readers the way readers want and expect to be served. Devastating quote about staffers unwilling to abandon their assumptions. Good Lord. As API and others preached for a century “assumptions are the mother of all screw-ups.”

7th February 2024 at 7:40 am
Paul Attics

Too many consumers of news across the political spectrum want affirmation rather than challenge. Some of these people become advocate journalists, with the level of professional journalism practice being poor to dismal.

It is not hard to find reliable, diverse, and challenging journalism folks (facts that inform analyses that informs opinion – taken together is sense-making), if you are not primarily looking to be entertained and/or coddled.

The fact-based analysis and opinion elements are here at The Hub. It is a valuable part of my well rounded sense-making diet.

7th February 2024 at 9:20 am
Michael F

Fact based but only from the conservative side of the spectrum. Conspicuously silent on the issues that don’t play well to their narrative. And at times the articles read like conservative party press releases in their cheerleading.

7th February 2024 at 11:45 am
Paul Attics

Agreed. Also, the achievement of a fully established fact-based piece of work (the five Ws) is only part of the quality level of the journalism. There is an obvious bias of which topics to cover, the choice of which facts to omit, and all the way down the road to how the work is edited (or discarded) and presented (priority among other work, page 1 or page 6 to use the old newspaper model).

7th February 2024 at 12:20 pm
A. Chezzi

I read articles from different source, mostly on line. I see as may right wing pundits as left wing pundits but I hear over and over again how the left wing is more active and more numerous. than the right. I read articles from the National Post, the Sun chains and the Hub all of which are very critical of the left. I listen to CBC and I hear the hosts asking hard questions of all the party reps. The Con have not had a rep on Power and Politics for months, since Poilievre has been leader. The Cons hate the CBC but they owe it to us who watch it to be there to explain what they believe and what they will do if the govern. Their idea of accountability is as bad as the Liberals whom they criticize for a lack of accountability. It is getting tiring to hear over and over again who unaccountable parties are, promising to do better, and failing again and again. I am fed up all parties and politicians. Little wonder people withdrew and refused to be engaged. I sometimes think that is the strategy with the parties which will then leave them free to do as they please. Journalists and journalism has changed. Sensationalism has taken over the news but I still see CBC as being one of the better outlets.
As for the HUB, I started following it for two reasons. I saw it as being fairly balanced and I wanted to know what conservatives were thinking so I could engage in dialogue. Lately, the HUB seems to have veered into Conservative territory showing a strong bias and losing what I once saw as balanced reporting. I will continue following the HUB because I see it as being much less partisan than the Sun chain or the National Post.

7th February 2024 at 8:32 am
Harriet

Have you Really listened to CBC lately, especially David Cochrane on Power & Politics? He asks the questions & only listens or comments on the LIEBERAL’S viewpoint.

7th February 2024 at 9:11 am
Lauraine

I agree with Steve Paikins assessment. I am a reader, a serious reader of everything that does not make me puke, but I do appreciate balance and most of all truth. let me make my own assessment of the information provided, do not tell me how I should feel or act.

7th February 2024 at 2:50 pm
Bj Rodgers

WOW…that is an absolute lie!!

7th February 2024 at 5:55 pm
Mark

MSM journalism and news networks are dying rapidly. Alternative news, or news agencies that do not coerce their reporters to only report on certain narratives, are taking over in big ways. There are reasons why Russell Brand, Redacted, Joe Rogan, Tucker Carleson, and MANY other forums and news outlets like The Hub, Rebel News, True North, The Defender, Reclaim the Net, The Counter Signal, The Northern View, Substack…the list goes on, and there are dozens of them, have viewerships and readers that put MSM to shame. I can’t even watch MSM anymore…the propaganda is so obvious and blatant…and the advertising (i.e. commercials) is beyond annoying.

7th February 2024 at 8:26 am
Paul Attics

Can you provide your clear definition journalism? Then of MSM journalism?

It seems that many criticize the so-called MSM because it reports news, even propaganda, they simply don’t like.

If level of propaganda was the real criteria, then many of the sources on your list would fail miserably.

When it comes to journalism or news-related-entertainment, higher popularity is not a metric that indicates accuracy.

7th February 2024 at 8:56 am
Bj Rodgers

Is today opposite day for you?

7th February 2024 at 10:01 am
Stephen McClellan

Journalists like all of us labour under presuppositions. We are all biased. The job of educating journalists should be to help them probe those biases within themselves and within the people involved in the stories they cover in an effort to present as balanced a picture as possible. They should be taught methods not beliefs. But it is hardly surprising that many coming out of our journalism schools are not equipped to do so given that post- modernism has overtaken so many academic disciplines. To make matters worse they are often presented with ideology and thus become advocates.

7th February 2024 at 11:48 am
Richard Courtemanche

All sectors of education have failed at least one generation of students due to their submission to growing cultural Marxism in collaboration with the same ideological governments. Of course, the media has always played an important role in the success of governments.

7th February 2024 at 9:44 am
BJ R

WOW!!! LOL!! The Hub publishing this article…talk about ZERO self-awareness!!! The Hub i typically nothing but propaganda for the Reformacons!! The Hub is the Rebel dressed up in a cheap suit! I bet the Menzoid is aa part time editor with the Hub!

7th February 2024 at 7:46 am
Paul Attics

One persons propaganda is another persons perspective. There is a gray area. The difference is the level of accuracy of the underlying information (facts).

Obviously The Rebel and The Hub have a conservative perspective. The Rebel does not adhere is a good faith level of accuracy. The Hub clearly does. Equating them is disingenuous IMO.

7th February 2024 at 9:07 am
Bj Rodgers

As you point out, ‘One persons propaganda is another persons perspective’. At times the Hub is objective, most times (in my opinion) not. Just look at the list of contributors (a LOT of Reformacon lackeys), many of which ‘the level of accuracy of the underlying information (facts)’ is of zero importance. I often say the Hub is simply the Rebel or True North using 10 dollar words.

7th February 2024 at 10:06 am
Michael F

Their cheques are signed with oil money so you know the writing will always be from a certain perspective. Towards the libertarian end of the conservative spectrum, pro-business and willing to ignore the whack job extremists in their own midst.

7th February 2024 at 11:43 am
Dennis

I find it interesting that an editor for a publication with a professed political bias has written a feature article arguing for the need for unbiased journalism.

7th February 2024 at 8:01 pm
Rodgers

Yes, quite the ‘self awareness’ dichotomy!

8th February 2024 at 7:01 am
G.ANDREW BROWNE

It is too late to save any mainstream media with the present ownership and advocate writers pretending to be journalists. There is no credibility left. Spent it all advocating for one specific government political viewpoint. Zero objectivity. It is clear by the lack of viewers, subscribers, and sponsors, they have lost the public confidence to be ever treated as objective and credible. Alternative news and independent aggregators are the present sources of information relied on by the public. Sad end to what was believed by our ancestors.

7th February 2024 at 8:58 pm
Rodgers

Great satirical reply!!!

8th February 2024 at 6:59 am
Cindy Sue

Trump is nothing but an idiot. Watch your step Americans

7th February 2024 at 3:03 pm