Today's discussion:

The battles over provincial autonomy are just heating up

The Supreme Court’s ruling last week in AG Canada v. AG Quebec preserved the principle that provinces can’t be required to implement federal laws— but that won’t prevent a future government lawyer from trying to argue that the decision gives cover for Ottawa to attempt to ram through future laws.

Read article

Comments (13)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
Kim Morton

The problem is not only between the feds encroaching on provincial jurisdiction, but Provincial governments forcing politically expedient plans on cities and Regional Districts. Case in point, the BC NDP forcing their poorly conceived housing plan on cities where thousands of hours of work over decades creating Community Plans have been thrown out the window.
Like the US, we need clearly defined areas of jurisdiction between all levels of government.

14th February 2024 at 10:37 am
Richard Courtemanche

Until stability and order can be restored at the federal level, ALL provinces must fight against an increasingly destructive totalitarian government that serves global evil entities rather than the interests of Canadians. Raising taxes, as the ill-conceived and even fraudulent climate change policies are doing, which will increase by 21% in April, is irresponsible, stupid and hurtful. The provinces working alone rather than united will all become victims of the federal alligator.

14th February 2024 at 10:06 am
SH

You are trying to use words you do not understand!

14th February 2024 at 10:13 am
Paul Attics

“…totalitarian government that serves global evil entities…”

^^^^ Example: Definition: Unhinged /ˌənˈhinjd/ adjective

14th February 2024 at 10:59 am
Richard Courtemanche

You and SH sound like you are not up to date on what’s happening in the world or Liberal puppets or Liberal puppets watching for anti-Liberal propaganda or all of the above. Some hints to encourage your learning… What do you think the WEF is doing? Why are Trudeau and Freeland top mentees of it? What happened to the protection of our rights and freedoms in this country? You do comment a fair amount on this site, but the public deserves reliable information.

14th February 2024 at 1:36 pm
Lauraine

Your rabbit hole is getting pretty messy.

14th February 2024 at 2:29 pm
Paul Attics

You lost the, heck, any, argument and any possibility of being taken seriously beyond your fellow travelers with the assertion…
“…totalitarian government that serves global evil entities…”

Consider looking up, and reading, the book, ‘The Constitution of Knowledge’ by Jonathan Rauch.
…and/or take new inspiration from the Sagan quote and advice “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”.

14th February 2024 at 2:28 pm
A. Chezzi

No strong federal government, no strong nation. What we are witnessing in the U S should be evidence that we need a strong central government. The U S is fragmented and the idea of a civil war is not so far fetched.
With Con governments in place in most provinces, the idea of individual freedoms has taken hold. Individuals have freedom as long as the common good is preserved. Eventually, individual freedoms clash and the result is the survival of the strongest and the break down of society. If you are a Thatcherite, you don’t believe in society. You think you have made it or can make it on your own but you fail to understand that you are where you are because their is a society to ensure what you have. As an example, Con premiers and Poilievre all benefitted from free education until post secondary. They had the health care programs. They had national standards which ensured their well being and now they want to get rid of regulations for the benefit of large corporations which are already making huge profits.
The inequality between the rich and the poor is growing. That creates a nation which is unstable. History shows that inequality is a condition for violence. Even the Con cannot/will not be able to stop civil strife when it starts. It is really in their best interests to create a stable nation where income and wealth are distributed equitably and for that we need a strong federal government.

14th February 2024 at 8:21 am
SH

Danielle Smith meets with Tucker Carlson, Tucker Carlson meets with Vladimir Putin…water seeks its own level!

14th February 2024 at 10:15 am
Coxy

Having just read Mr. Anglin’s piece on the ancient poems and love/hate on Valentines Day, I have a confession about my own prejudice and my need for empathy and even-mindedness. This is why I love the Hub. I am learning more about important people in Canada and Mr. Anglin was a former senior advisor to the Honourable Stephen Harper who I never voted for but greatly admire because I started to meet people who know him and over time I see many of his great acts along with those I disliked, not just the latter. At 50, I have known people from all walks of life and political persuasions over the years and while I may not agree with their ideologies or policy ideas, they are people I admire because they care about our country, community and think about ways to solve problems, and when in power or influence, sometimes with success and failure after we evaluate outcomes; hence my devotion to results based management, transparency and accountability. Regardless, I hope all readers of the Hub reflect on what the Toronto Sun is reporting below about the hate espoused against a small brewery Prime Minister Trudeau visited last week and the impact on the people and the company who hosted him and the postings on social media etc.

“So ashamed of him, and anyone that supports him needs more help than money can offer,” one woman wrote. Another commented: “Support tyrants and watch your business suffer.” A third person chimed in, “Must have been a nice time. Just you, Castro, Stalin, and Mao illegally drinking in public after a busy week destroying the country.”

Our Prime Minister is and must be accountable for his Government but he is still our fellow citizen like Prime Minister Harper and deserves our respect not calls for their ill-will or worse or for those who simply like his Government, policies or just did commerce with him (selling beer). The far right is not alone in this. The far left is equally awful in blind rage.

As a flawed human, my prejudice would have simply assumed Mr. Anglin a neo-con hell bent on burning all things social to the ground including Arts and Culture and yet he I am pleased, impressed and better off today after reading this piece on ancient poetry and how it still hits home to those in love and the broken-hearted. The type of guy I would love to have a beer with and yammer on about policy. Once again, well done HUB!

14th February 2024 at 1:57 pm
The Hub Staff

Thank you for contributing to Hub Forum. For more from Joanna Baron, check out her piece on the Emergencies Act: https://thehub.ca/2024-01-24/joanna-baron-the-courts-emergencies-act-decision-is-happy-vindication-for-those-who-care-about-the-constitution/

14th February 2024 at 5:35 pm
Andrea

I don’t know nothing about alll of that…….

14th February 2024 at 11:45 am
Andrea. ilsa.real2017@gmail.com

I can’t go e my opinion because I don’t have Education about that.i need to know about, What batle it’s that?…….

14th February 2024 at 11:44 am