Today's discussion:

Canada’s cities are far too weak

Cities have historically been seen as "mere creatures of the provinces" in Canada. This means that the 80 percent of Canadians who live in towns and cities and the suburbs in between have little control of their political destiny. This does not bode well for the state of the nation as they are not empowered to reach their full potential.

Read article

Comments (23)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
A. Chezzi

While leaders of other parties praised Brian Mulroney for his statesmanship, Pierre Poilievre chose to politicize the event with a dig at the current government, referring to inflation. Many pundits pointed out that in spite of difference Brian Mulroney had with other politicians, he found the time and a way to treat them with civility and encouragement. This is a lesson, the pundits pointed out, that our politicians are lacking today. Poilievre’s comments about inflation reveal a man incapable of the human touch. This is not a time for politics but remembrance of a man who had Canada’s best interest at heart.

1st March 2024 at 8:55 am
Rick

He was a crook.Remember Airbus payoffs from Karl Heinz Schreiber ???

1st March 2024 at 1:23 pm
BobSt

Compared to what we have today….

1st March 2024 at 3:45 pm
Rick

You’re right.Nothing changed.He probably enjoyed the 2 $ Million
he extorted from the people of Canada.

1st March 2024 at 3:52 pm
Harriet Worden

If you think Pierre polorizes, you should listen to Justin, every other sentence in whatever promise (ho ho) he makes, he says another untruth about Pierre & the Conservative party!

1st March 2024 at 4:15 pm
Michael F

Did the PM use Mulroney’s death as an opportunity to play petty politics and sling mud at the government? Only one politician did and we know who that was. Your hero.

1st March 2024 at 7:08 pm
Michael F

I personally disliked the man and his policies but I will say he was a man who had a vision for this country and fought hard to steer the country in that direction. He was the last progressive conservative leader the party had and it was the fracturing of the coaltion he built, that led us to the party that Poilievre now leads. And mixed with the acheivements of his two terms as PM were some scandals, the most notable being the Airbus scandal that led directly to his office.

1st March 2024 at 11:46 am
wayne thorburn

Brian Mulroney was a true statesman, admired and respected by many. He was a true leader for Canada and a friend, not only of the United States but of the entire Free World.

1st March 2024 at 8:34 am
Paul Crawford

He was a crook and got paid $2,000,000 for it! Like most MP’s just another “pig at the trough!”

1st March 2024 at 4:10 pm
Rickk

Oh,cry me a river.

1st March 2024 at 3:54 pm
Paul Attics

Re: Prime Minister Brian Mulroney
Don’t forget: Airbus and giant deficits
Don’t forget: Free Trade and Acid Rain agreement
There is a lot to review and mull over for this particularly consequential Canadian Prime Minister. I will take my time and savor the nuance and context.

1st March 2024 at 1:11 pm
Michael F

Have a look at the the stories about where the money came from to build his namesake building at Xavier in Antigonish. Judge a man by the company he keeps.

1st March 2024 at 7:10 pm
Coxy

God Bless the RH Brian Mulroney. The most successful and impactful Conservative leader in Canada since Sir John A, and I love Sir John A with all his warts; I love driving on highways with is name. Why? The country and its commonwealth is more than a market and liberalization which is the perception of Canada’s Conservative Party and individualism. Prime Minister Mulroney brought in reforms necessary at the time to reinvigorate Canadian industry and foreign policy. Look at wine for example. Free trade has helped Canada integrate into the global economy. 45 years ago it was Baby Duck brand. The import of European beer brands led to innovations at home in the craft micro-brewery industry. SMEs! Mr. Mulroney’s policies have helped Canada develop wealth and become a G7 country and use its wealth to invest in social programs and infrastructure from 1989 onward by all Governments. We do not seem to have grand policy visions about building something Canadian anymore. It is either about tearing things down like our census which gives great data to inform public policy or petty social identify politics that breaks our common national bond apart into segmented narcissisms. The result: we have retail politics now focused on echo chambers. It is amazing to see Mr. Mulroney celebrated for his statesmanship and it is long overdue. Yes, he made mistakes but all politicians do because they are influential and human. This is coming from someone who has never voted for the Tories or Conservatives. I am so proud of Brian Mulroney being our Prime Minister. He is and was amazing and I am glad he won those elections in the 1980s. Canada is better off for it.

1st March 2024 at 12:06 pm
Rick

Just another crook.

1st March 2024 at 1:26 pm
Paul Attics

Three levels of government funded from one source fighting over jurisdiction and prioritizing interests of those other than the citizenry. The level of government closest to the citizenry has the least amount of power. The arrangement is antiquated and obviously suboptimal. How can political power be fairly and appropriately redistributed for the rapidly changing modern, and primarily urban, world? As per the article, Section 43 offers one path, a path that does not require constitutional change.
A critical national conversation, with potential regional action, for facilitating ongoing prosperity.

1st March 2024 at 8:10 am
GC

The opinion writer says the 3 million residents of the city of Toronto generate 20% of Canada’s GDP. No they don’t. The very link in his article used to support this “fact” refers to the “Toronto Region with OVER 7 million residents” contributes 20% of GDP. Something over 7 million people works out to be about 20% of the national population. So pretty much what you’d expect although Toronto and Ontario sadly are relatively sub optimal contributors to the national economy. Somewhere around the worst performing US states. A writer who bills himself as an urban affairs writer (admittedly Toronto Star) should know these basic facts.

1st March 2024 at 9:22 pm
Don Morris

Brian Mulroney was another of Paul Desmarais’ boys, as was PET and Chretien, Quebec liberals all, though Mulroney did wear a different color tie.
Mulroney included in his vaunted Free Trade legislation changes so Canadian based corporation could move their profits offshore, which they did in a massive stampede in the 1980’s that gutted our manufacturing sector and middle class. The Eilites moved upward from being mere millionaires to billionaires, while the middle class struggled to survive, and the promise of free trade was carefully restricted trade to again benefit the elites while being of little or no benefit to the working class. We are a country of cartels and monopolies that benefits only a tiny percentage of the population.
Yes, he did fight against apartheid in South Africa, only to ignore it’s implementation in Canada,but he did more damage to the ordinary working Canadian than any PM since Confederation.

I voted for him twice, but the first time was a vote against the Liberals, not particularly for the PC’s.
Misty-eyed Conservatives will remember Mulroney as a great statesman, just as their LPC counterparts remember PET with tears in their eyes, but I will remember him as the PM who worked diligently for the Elite class at the expense of ordinary citizens.
If the religious are right about the afterlife, someone should figure out a way to get him an industrial strength air conditioner across the Styx.

1st March 2024 at 12:01 pm
Rick

Just another crook.

1st March 2024 at 1:28 pm
Kim Morton

I don’t know where you got this idea from, but in BC cities have too much power, both in taxation and limiting freedoms.

1st March 2024 at 10:59 am
Xiaoming Guo

In a healthy market economy, income should be commensurable to the effort put into economic activities. What disincentive is that the one who keek rent smarter can get income more than those working hard to advance our economic growth. That’s dooms our economy. We have more and more activities that are not working but rent-seeking. Striks can get raised faster and safer than hard work. More and more our labor force is engaged in politics/advocating. It is the iron-bowl phenomenon that used to happen in a planned economy, and now is rampage in Canada. Working achievement is irrelevant to income. People love to advocate, lobby, protest, legal papers, lawsuits, paperwork, and strikes. Those are no economic activities but those can get easy money. Politicians show their support for a cause by budgeting more money, not necessarily solving the problem. Invest more in math programs, after the money is spent, the math level of students is the same or even worse. Do we notice this? politicians never blame anyone for problems, but blame the lack of money. Should healthcare workers maintain the health of the public? Yet, they are never wrong, but only lack of money. Every sector forms a strong political power to protest the vested interest groups.

1st March 2024 at 4:48 pm
Xiaoming Guo

If nobody gets punished for obvious corruption, the whole system is corrupted. I know the legal technicity prevented the punishment, and that’s why I say the whole system is corrupted.

1st March 2024 at 4:25 pm
Paul Crawford

Brian Mulrooney sued the Cdn Government for $1,000,000 for HIS crimes, he is a crook! He prefers to not even live in Canada, spending his millions in the US.

1st March 2024 at 4:08 pm
Lauraine

This country was built on the backs of communities. Community spirit, and viability must be top most in this country. Provinces are interferring more and more with communities without invitation or rationale. Alberta gave oil and gas a pass on outstanding municipal taxes, which today stand at millions. Provinces are very quick at selling themselves to the highest bidders.

1st March 2024 at 3:36 pm