Today's discussion:

It’s time for Canada to seize Russian assets

Canada leads the world with legislation to seize Russia’s central bank reserves to support Ukraine. Politically and diplomatically though, it’s wasting a good chance to lead. At a time when Western taxpayers are being asked to provide more support for Ukraine amidst the rising cost of living, it’s unconscionable to leave dirty Russian money on the table.

Read article

Comments (13)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
Don Morris

Canada isn’t a world leader and I seriously doubt we have an “excellent” reputation in the EU. Canada/Trudeau will not lead on this file any more than he has lead on any other, except enacting a carbon tax.

18th March 2024 at 11:24 am
Kim Morton

I rather like the idea of using Russian money to finance forcing Putin’s thugs out of Ukraine.

18th March 2024 at 9:22 am
Lynda Thivierge

I would love to see Canada take the lead on this. Great Britain has often taken the lead with respect to arms and munitions, we should do our part. Having Western taxpayers pay for the damages and atrocities by Russia makes no sense – just listen to Bill Browder on this topic and you cannot fail to be convinced – morally, politically and legally. It is time we stood up to Putin and his thugs in the Kremlin. Let’s not wait for others to make the first move. Ukrainians are being bombarded in their homes on a daily basis and soldiers are dying on the front without sufficient means to defend themselves. They need all the help they can get.

18th March 2024 at 12:35 pm
Paul Attics

I like both the idea of Canada taking the lead and the obvious justice of using Russian money to begin to compensate for the non-human destruction inflicted on Ukraine. The justice for the utterly immoral human destruction should take place in the The Hague, hopefully after a Russian defeat.
Other than the illegality in relevant countries, which can be remedied with legislation as Canada has done, I don’t understand the nuance of why there is resistance in taking this step.

18th March 2024 at 7:15 am
Tom

Paul,
Aren’t you exercising double standards?
What about 70 years of Izraeli butchering Palestinians, robbing Palestinian land, houses… tell me. Hague is a joke with double standards as well. Izrael is sued in Hague and nothing happens. ICJ order is a joke.
One has to impose sanctions on Izrael and USA an seize their assets – how does it sounds. BRICS has the balls and imposed sanctions on terrorist Izrael and USA.

18th March 2024 at 7:34 am
Kim Morton

More like we should seize Iranian assets for promoting Hamas butchery in Israel.

18th March 2024 at 9:21 am
Paul Attics

I am exercising my concern and curiosity for the topic of the article.

There are numerous ongoing horrific conflicts in the world, each with its own complexities and context. Hypocrisy and politics play roles in all. Despite the injustice and inconsistency with how the collectively world deals with, or ignores, these conflicts, it is better than any time in history.

18th March 2024 at 7:57 am
Chris

We need to start seizing Ukrainian assets and the assets of all countries contributing to the money laundering and theft of country money. One of the most corrupt countries in the world did not change overnight – and remains corrupt to the point where the NeoNazi’s in the Ukraine have attacked and killed tens of thousands of Ukrainians since 2014.
For any country to promote this kind of tyranny and bad acting by an acting president, is scamming money from countries and the people who need to deal with their own issues at home.
It is almost common knowledge that what is going on in the Ukraine is nohing that the media is reporting.
To support the continued corruption and killing of Ukranians from within, is a serious mistake – or an agenda that no other country should be part of

18th March 2024 at 12:40 pm
A. Chezzi

It is incomprehensible that war rages on in the Ukraine and yet Western countries continue business ties with Russia. Why? It is time to confiscate and give Russian assets to the Ukraine for the war and for reconstruction of the country. Putin is laughing at the weakness of the West and it is encouraging him to move ahead not only with war on the Ukraine but plans to extend Russian influence in lost territories. It seems as if it is Neville Chamberlain all over.

18th March 2024 at 9:48 am
Greg

Under what authority would Canada have the right to seize these assets? How would we respond if Russia retaliated by seizing Canadian assets? This is uncharted waters and one a non-power like Canada needs to leave well alone.

18th March 2024 at 4:15 pm
Susan

Seizing Russian assets is one way to pay for the munitions and weapons that Ukraine needs to defend itself from the Russian invasion and return peace and territory to Ukraine. It certainly makes sense to me.
Putin has taken several pages from Hitler’s playbook and is banking on the complacency and ignorance of the west to return to the territorial expanse of the USSR. Leaving the financial and material resources in his and his cronies hands, while the west only half-heartedly supports Ukraine, is only asking for more conflicts and expansion hosted by Putin. It would be irresponsible not to seize these assets and put them to use for Ukraine.

18th March 2024 at 3:10 pm
B

What is the problem ?

18th March 2024 at 11:46 am
Paul Attics

Lazy comments?

18th March 2024 at 12:51 pm