Today's discussion:

Poilievre’s popularity is surging—his working-class appeal is a key reason why

Major policies on housing, immigration, childcare, and education would show that the Conservatives are attuned to changing working-class dynamics and ready to fulfill the vision of a multi-ethnic, working-class coalition for the twenty-first century.

Read article

Comments (32)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
Kim Morton

The reason PP is so popular is that he is saying what the vast majority of Canadians feel. We must get our spending under control. We must cut the share of our paycheques multiple levels of government take. We must get bureaucrats out of our lives and our pocketbooks. We must eliminate this woke agenda, which is racist and sexist. We must cut immigration to sustainable levels. We must create a political climate where industries want to come to Canada to create real jobs.

20th March 2024 at 10:37 am
Murray D Skelton

You’re So Right…why anyone would ever vote Lib or NDP again in this country absolutely baffles me…

20th March 2024 at 12:05 pm
SH

PP is popular because he uses stilly sing song snake oil slogans that appeal to non-thinking hate filled rubes. CPC = Convoy Party of Canada!

21st March 2024 at 9:29 am
bengeo@telusplanet.net

This guy has so much going for him. Finally hope for the country!!

20th March 2024 at 11:04 am
SH

Poilievere is a charlatan. PP is a liar. PP uses misinformation and disinformation to rile up angry hate filled low info rubes…is always complaining never explaining. PP is a phoney, his track record as a ‘career politician’ (something he used to bash…not a surprise as he is a charlatan phoney) speaks PP’s real truth! It is not hard to know who the real PP is, despite his million dollar ‘everyman’ makeover. PP has stolen the Trumptser’s playbook, sad that it works in Canada!

20th March 2024 at 8:07 am
Gudrun

Totally agree with Sh’s comment.
Didn’t realize fully that P.P. is also a charlatan. I am saddened by the misinformation and low standard in which to gather more votes. Please let us all get facts and, not least, the truth.

20th March 2024 at 8:52 am
Kim Morton

If you think PP is spreading misinformation, you are either illiterate, or more likely collecting payoffs from the liberal party.

20th March 2024 at 10:30 am
Jeff h

Polievre is for workers like the fox is for guarding henhouse house.

20th March 2024 at 9:59 am
Sandra

I suppose your definition fits the dictionary definition of ”working class.” However I would suggest that most people, maybe as you suggest as well, see it as those who work to survive either to just get by or to at least not have to ask for help from the government. This definition would include way more than 6.5 million Canadians and explain the polls. I believe this larger group is who is attracted to Pierre Poilievre’s messaging, which contrary to unbacked claims above, is filled with the details that convince people he can actually make a difference.

20th March 2024 at 9:19 am
Jeff h

What plan. There is no substance. The last con govt racked up 120 billion deficit. They gave banks 114 billion and the money is gone. They did nothing about climate change. They muzzled scientists and librarians. They attacked minorities and marginalized. They attacked public Healthcare but getting rid of health council. They gave our census contract to American weapons manufacturer. Poilievre actually was part of fipa trade deal with China. They allowed corporations to sue for lost profits. Trudeau got rid of chapter 11. They sold atomic energy Canada for pittance. They sold wheat board. They sold experimental lakes areas and took protections from 99 % of lakes rivers and streams. They prorogued parliament twice and covered up complicity of our soldiers in handing g over prisoners to be tortured. They canceled mandatory long form census. They got rid of long gun registry just as we learned that 88 percent of homicides of women were with long guns. Cons are terrible for Canada. Ford is privatizing our healthcare and took away rent control. Poilivre will do nothing about affordable housing or healthcare crisis. Buyer beware. The ndp care more about people than cons. Pierre supports Israel while 13000 children have been murdered. He has loblawibbyists and big pharma lobbyists. Ndp and libs trying to expand dental and pharmacare for people cons voted against these. How are so many of you blind. Ford canceled paid sick days just b4 the pandemic. When Canada had thousands of seniors die during pandemic Ford had canceled inspections and they all voted to make it harder to sue homes. No integrity and certainly no compassion.

20th March 2024 at 10:16 am
Michael B

This is 2024.

20th March 2024 at 11:20 am
A. Chezzi

The working class will soon find out when PP is PM, that is as far removed from the working class as the sun is from the moon. PP speaks the language but he isn’t working class. Conservatives have never been a benefit to the working class. When have the Con brought forth rent control? When have the Con spoken out against high grocery prices except to blame Trudeau. The Con still believe that trickle down economy works when it has been proven time and again that it doesn’t. Con have never been the initiators of big schemes. They look to keep government out of these schemes thinking business does it best but business always has profit in mind and the workers have to fight for what they get. All we hear from PP right now is axe the tax and no mention of anything else. His simple rhetoric keeps people enraged and not thinking about what he will really do. For a man who lives on the taxpayers’ dime, he is far from working class. He hasn’t refused his 10% increase in salary which comes Apr 1. He doesn’t want people to think about that. Affordability is no issue for him.

20th March 2024 at 3:50 pm
John Williamson

The liberals have never understood that it is the WORKING and entrepreneurial class that is key to the success of the country. They’ve been too busy doing bad things to those people because they fundamentally don’t identify with them nor trust them to make key choices about their own lives. Their vision of Canada is a sad, limited and stunted view when (on an objective assessment of what Canada possesses that the world need) Canadians should be amongst the wealthiest people in the planet….

20th March 2024 at 12:23 pm
Michael F

Pierre Poilievre isn’t a populist. He’s something worse and even more cynical: he’s a False Populist. And people that fall for the catchy slogans and seemingly easy answers to difficult problems don’t have the critical thinking skills to see through this political snake oil.

Here’s what Skippy is all about:
https://youtu.be/qxzmJ2qLMg8?si=p4zrWWjNAkYwTiaV

20th March 2024 at 6:29 pm
Michael F

Chrystia Freeland is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford universities where she was also a Rhodes Scholar. She speaks four, possibly five languages. What do you bring to the table?

20th March 2024 at 11:47 am
Murray D Skelton

And I don’t hide behind a name whose obvious anonymity shows the cowardice of im”posters” like you…

20th March 2024 at 12:14 pm
Peter Campbell

Education doesn’t equate to common sense…..she is a total failure as Finance Minister. Our national debt has doubled under her watch.

20th March 2024 at 3:01 pm
Michael F

There was this little thing called a global pandemic in 2020. Do you happen to recall that? The government took on debt to stop the economy from collapse and keeping people housed.

20th March 2024 at 6:02 pm
Murray D Skelton

Honesty, Integrity and the simple knowledge that the WEF is a “dictatorship in waiting”…perhaps at Harvard they were too busy fussing about pronouns or bathrooms to teach the value of Democracy?
And for the record, what do YOU BRING?

20th March 2024 at 12:11 pm
Michael F

I don’t hide behind anything. She attended Harvard in the 1980s, long before conservatives began stoking identity politics as a play to their bigoted base. And I have as degree in history and political science from U of T. You love to sling mud at the current government and call them incompentent, let’s see your credentials.

20th March 2024 at 12:34 pm
WJL

Wow, a degree in history and political science!!! You should be in a cancer research lab. I’m sure you could find the cure in a few weeks with those smarts.

20th March 2024 at 6:42 pm
Michael F

And what did you study?

20th March 2024 at 8:00 pm
WJL

I am sure that Einstein was smarter than she is, and I wouldn’t want him to run a country. The ability to get good grades in school does not qualify a person for a job. If you think that, you should put Freeland in the operating room to remove brain tumors, she likely has more degrees than the surgeon. Maybe Trudeau could assist her in operating – he is pretty clever with words so he could describe the procedure eloquently to the relatives of the deceased patient, telling them that they worked “really hard” but that the results were completely beyond their control.

20th March 2024 at 6:39 pm
Gord Edwards

Personally – I can balance a budget. And I don’t think that cancelling our Netflix subscription a year or so ago makes me a working class hero.

What you’ve put forward is simply a variation on the ‘appeal to authority’. What does the number of languages she speaks have to do with her abilities?

I’m all for education. I have a MEng myself. But educated doesn’t mean smart. I’ve known a number of PhDs who could tell you how to crack and atom but couldn’t make an omelet without getting egg shell in it. To quote Orwell: “There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.”

20th March 2024 at 4:58 pm
Michael F

I’ll take the Rhodes Scholar over the simplistic sloganeering of a career politician. At least the well educated person has demonstrated that they have the intellect to understand the complex problems governments face.

20th March 2024 at 6:47 pm
Paul Attics

Politicians and parties love to assert rhetorical ownership over identifiable but vague groups of voters. The more people that feel that they are in the group, the better. example: Liberals – the middle class, NDP – workers

It looks like the CPC is reaching far across the political spectrum and trying to eat the “NDP’s lunch” after plucking it out of their worksite grade lunchbox. Perhaps this may pull a significant number of disaffected NDP leaning Liberal voters into the the widening CPC tent…

20th March 2024 at 10:21 am
Michael F

Well if they actually looked in Poilievre’s voting record and past they would see who the guy really is and understand that what he’s selling now is snake oil. He’s no friend to the working class despite all the catchy slogans and ‘aw gee shucks’ common man talk.

20th March 2024 at 11:24 am
Murray D Skelton

At least he appears to recognize what a terrorist is, that govt’s job is to if not help the economy flourish at least get the hell out of the way and not to literally criminalize Canadians he disagrees with using “RETROACTIVE LAWS”????
Are you even aware of that horrific travesty Turdeau/Fraudland perpetrated????
Have you any idea of the chilling effect that had on the world’s view of Canada?????

20th March 2024 at 12:24 pm
Ray Howarth

One can only hope!

20th March 2024 at 11:02 am
Harry Boessenkool

Excellent discussion. Getting government out of some of these huge program and letting people make the choices is key. Childcare is number one.

Family structure is important for many new immigrants and they come with experience of interfamily care.So do many of the rest of us.

20th March 2024 at 3:28 pm
Michael B

Last I heard from StatsCan the non-participation rate of working age (15-64) Canadian residents was 40% – these are people without jobs and not actively looking for one. That’s a lot of people. I suppose a percentage of these would be early retirees, students dependent on parents, stay-at-home parents, mentally or physically handicapped etc. All it takes is a part-time job to be catagorised as a participant.
You can’t call them working class, so where do they fit in? Does anyone ever poll them as a class?

20th March 2024 at 11:39 am
Valerie

There’s a big life stage aspect that I’m not sure totally aligns with how people normally think of the working class. The people competing most for jobs with international students, both geographically and in terms of the hours they can work, are other students. That dynamic doesn’t necessarily change once they graduate and start looking for skilled work, especially because temporary residents and new immigrants are both disproportionately young. The number of people employed under their credentials might suggest a training mismatch, or it might suggest the idea Canada has a huge shortage of even skilled workers is wrong. But either way, Poilievre seems to appeal at least as much to young people who see themselves (regardless of their current jobs) as part of a thwarted middle class as much as people who see themselves as working class.

Sort of similar thing with housing. The actual interests of young working class people (at least those who are likely to stay there) are probably different from the interests of high-income young people also locked out of owned housing. But I’m not sure it really shows up in the rhetoric compared to frustrated comparisons to other age groups.

20th March 2024 at 10:43 am