Today's discussion:

Canada’s crime problem is only getting worse

Auto thefts in particular are skyrocketing across Canada. And suggesting that citizens simply give up and make it easier for car thieves to steal their property reads like an admission that the police have lost control over a dangerous and costly problem.

Read article

Comments (27)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
PDH

The Liberal Government seems intent on protecting Canada from climate change yet it can’t protect Canadians from ourselves.

21st March 2024 at 9:39 am
Gordon Edwards

I feel some sympathy for Constable Ricciardi as his comments are being mischaracterized. I haven’t seen a video of the discussion so I may lack context. But, viewed dispassionately, his advice doesn’t appear to be any different from ‘protect your PIN’ or ‘don’t walk down dark alleys’.

In this case it seems to be ‘Given the current situation, here is a way to minimize your exposure to risk.’ Not that leaving your keys by the door is the TPS’s final solution for home invasions and car theft.

But people aren’t viewing this dispassionately. And understandable so. Contrary to one comment here this isn’t about rich people in Toronto having their expensive cars stolen. It is the latest and most compelling in a series of incidents which frustrate and frighten the average Canadian: from a police officer killed by a person out on bail, to a man with a laundry list of violent offences being free to kill 11 people and injure 18 more, to stabbings and assaults on the TTC, to a daylight stabbing yesterday in downtown Vancouver.

Ideally everyone would be safe everywhere, but that isn’t realistic. As a result, we accept that not walking down a dark alley in a bad neighbourhood is just common sense. But home invasions offend the most basic need for safety and security. No wonder people are angry.

There are some good points in the article. But could we stop blaming the pandemic for everything? Cars were expensive and people stole cars before 2020. I think the ultimate causes lie elsewhere.

Improvements to law enforcement coordination are a must. Not only to catch the ‘big fish’ but because, if most cars are retrieved, the financial incentive to steal them for export diminishes. If, as implied in the article, low risk offenders are in jail awaiting trial while repeat offenders accused of violent offences are out on bail that needs to be fixed and fast. Also – enough with race based sentencing. It discredits the justice system in the eyes of average Canadians. If a group is proportionately over represented in the prison population, ask why that group is over represented among those who commit crime. Deal with the root cause. Don’t sweep the matter under the rug via light sentencing.

We won’t address the ultimate causes without considering social issues as well. As the topic of the article is law enforcement, that would be off topic at the moment. However we should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time – demand law enforcement and holding people accountable for their actions, while addressing other issues.

21st March 2024 at 2:40 pm
Don Morris

In what fantasy world do the “authorities” expect a young professional car thief to “reintegrate into the community”? The ugly reality is a criminal can make far more money,tax free, than he can in any realistic career.
These people are not future brain surgeons or rocket scientists, though some may have a future as politicians if they are socially adept, but their choice is a minimum wage career versus a glamorized- in -the -movies career making ten times as much money and being able to afford the “lifestyle of the rich and famous”.
I don’t know what the solution is,it’s way beyond my pay grade, but it IS up to the politicians to fix this problem, and the current government better do so soon or face a big defeat next election.

21st March 2024 at 11:59 am
SH

In what fantasy world do the feds do local policing?

21st March 2024 at 2:59 pm
Kim Morton

Most of Canada outside major cities. Ever hear of the RCMP? They don’t just ride horses in parades.
Aside from that, the feds do make the criminal laws and prosecute them.

21st March 2024 at 8:59 pm
BR

LOL…yeah, because most of the theft is in rural MB and SK!!! Not like it happens in the big cities with the big city police forces…

22nd March 2024 at 9:04 am
Crime is out of control

Canada is becoming a shell country – a mere front.

These auto-thefts are the tip of a larger iceberg.

Consider the “crisis” report by the RCMP’s three-member Strategic Foresight and Methodology Team.

Or the dim view of Canadian security, law, and order taken by our allies.

To illustrate, I quote from Sam Cooper’s book “Wilful Blindness”:

“Sidewinder said that tycoons with connections to heroin Triads and the Chinese Communist Party and United Front were gaining a major foothold in Canadian real estate and hotels. And Ottawa’s response essentially was to shoot the messengers and ignore their warning. But there is growing recognition from some highly respected former officials that the crime model first exposed in Sidewinder must be confronted. This isn’t just some fringe theory cooked up by spooks with secret dossiers.

I asked David Mulroney, Canada’s former ambassador to Beijing, if Sidewinder’s core assertions hold up. Is the Chinese Communist Party actually intertwined with transnational gangs and using criminals in the United Front to fulfill the Party’s objectives?

“There is no denying the connection,” Mulroney told me. “The course of modern Chinese politics, from the earliest days of the Communist Party in Shanghai, has been interrelated with the rise and fall of various crime bosses and triads.”

Mulroney told me that when he was a government official, he could not speak out on his knowledge of the party’s ties to gangs. But he believes it is now his duty to inform Canadians of what he learned inside China.

“The Party is not squeamish about using any tool. If they can catch someone doing something illegal, they will trade off a vicious sentence, perhaps a death sentence, in exchange for the criminal’s compliance,” Mulroney said. “They hold this over the heads of the people they are trying to co-opt. There is a very tight, incestuous relationship between organized crime in China and within diaspora communities, and the United Front. Co-opting criminal networks is one of the Party’s preferred tools for the infiltration of target organizations and communities and for foreign interference.”

So what does this mean? At worst, what does China’s infiltration of Canada using criminal networks mean? Is there concrete harm?

Yes, the harm is tangible and increasing. And at worst — according to multiple well-placed sources — it means Beijing is allowing fentanyl to be shipped into Canada. This is another uncomfortable truth. The Chinese Communist Party has used the threat of fentanyl deaths as leverage on Canada’s leaders.”

21st March 2024 at 8:18 am
Robert Tilden

Calling crime out of control because of raising car theft is ridiculous if that is our biggest worry we are a lucky people

21st March 2024 at 7:38 am
Michael B

There are top ten most stolen lists available on the internet. These being statistics for Canada and each province. Obviously, the most common vehicles on the road are stolen more frequently, not at all necessarily by criminal gangs, so for #6 on the list the Honda Civic with over 700 K on the road only 1,493 were stolen in 2023. The Civic has a steal rate of .2% and is not an expensive, luxury car.
Land and Range Rovers (#8) have the highest percentage of stolen at 3.9% with 1,343 having been stolen followed by the Lexus RX series (#4) at 1.9% with 1,815 stolen. These are expensive vehicles and the obvious targets of gangs.
The Toyota Highlander (#5) comes in with a 1.5% rate and 1,759 stolen, but is not a luxurious nor expensive model.
What is the common factor in these vehicles with high (>1%) rates of theft? I’ll guess that they’re just easier to steal (key fobs?). That’s an easy fix with a steering wheel locking bar. If you’re too inconvenienced to use one don’t expect the police to correct your negligence.

21st March 2024 at 11:00 am
Rick

It takes thieves 30 seconds to cut the steering wheel.

21st March 2024 at 3:55 pm
Michael F

Yes part of the problem lies with the car manufacturers making cars more difficult to steal and this costs the manufacturers money to develop technologies and integrate them into the building of the vehicle. Many high end cars use keyless fobs which can be hacked fairly easily by professional auto thieves. The insurance industry is also pressuring manufacturers to make cars more resilient to theft. And believe me the Toyota Highlander is an expensive vehicle and is highly sought after in many countries for it’s durability and quality. A new mid range Highlander starts at C$50,000, the fully loaded hybrid is $65,000. And there’s a waiting list to get one.

21st March 2024 at 1:16 pm
Paul Attics

Shouldn’t the title of Today’s Discussion be “Toronto’s auto theft crime problem is only getting worse” based on the content?

It is a problem and trend that needs to be reversed. Public faith in one of the primary roles of the state, protecting citizens, needs to be maintained. Hyperbolic opinion pieces ostensibly about rising crime writ large across the country and citizens generally being “on their own” certainly don’t help.

21st March 2024 at 7:23 am
Paul Attics

For those enthusiastic about wider reading, crime stats have ticked up in the past three years, from decades long lows.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/230727/cg-b002-eng.htm
https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/CAN/canada/crime-rate-statistics

The demonstrated ability of foreign governments to operate with near impunity in Canada, even in concert with criminal enterprises, is a serious problem to be sure. Bundling this activity under crime is misleading.

21st March 2024 at 1:08 pm
AD

TheHub isn’t being hyperbolic.

I suggest wider reading.

https://www.thebureau.news/p/canada-a-safe-zone-for-transnational

21st March 2024 at 8:30 am
Don Morris

Ad, thanks for posting that. Between cried of “racism” and Liberal shills telling us there’s nothing to be concerned about, while crime is rampant in every city, it’s hard to see the truth sometimes.

In my small city the parks are drug dealing grounds and anything that isn’t locked up is stolen.

And that isn’t hyperbole.

21st March 2024 at 12:23 pm
Paul Attics

I don’t know why political affiliation is a factor here. Mostly provincial governments are conservative and cities do not employ a party system. Don’t they have more responsibility and agency over managing crime?

“Nothing to be concerned about” is a strawman and not an argument that most citizens would make. We should always be looking to reduce crime.

Yours, or any other citizen’s personal experience should be respected, but the macro data and statistics should be the guiding light for broad policy or other government considerations.

21st March 2024 at 2:08 pm
Coxy

Reading the Non Confidence Motion is before House of Commons. I’m the Liberal voter PP must convince he can be trusted with this country. I challenge any CPC supporter to share with me PP’s position on climate change and reducing GHGs. Seriously, I would vote for a change in federal government but want to assess if PP are serious and have a plan. I’m comfortable with public private health care. Just ran into Australian who said this is working there. The country deserves details and clear recognition about our changing climate and human impacts over the past 300 years. Looking forward to this as I prepare to decide who to vote for on policy not tradition

21st March 2024 at 4:48 pm
Kim Morton

Climate change isn’t man made, and therefore any politician that claims to be fighting it is full of BS. if you dig a bit, you will find that the nuclear power industry is behind the globull warming scare. Their goal is to gain market share at the expense of coal and NG. Read about Abiotic oil, and you will see the whole thing is a charade. We have been lied to about where oil comes from for about 100 years.

21st March 2024 at 9:09 pm
John Trudeau

Well if you try to stop the criminal you are the one at risk of being thrown in jail . The laws aren’t enforced , crime does pay.

21st March 2024 at 3:50 pm
Michael F

A simple google search shows that violent crime rates in Canada have been rising but, and this is an important but, they are still below rates of violent crime in the mid 2000s. Canada suffers from nuisance crimes like property crimes, theft and vandalism which are obviously a concern. But they are difficult to address without addressing the underlying causes. Get tough on crime approaches have been shown to not do much for this type of crime. Canada needs to address a shortage of staff in the judicial system and look at chronic repeat offenders as a start. And some provinces like BC are starting to do these exact things.

21st March 2024 at 1:23 pm
Gord Edwards

So if someone threatens you with a weapon and demands your wallet, phone etc or kicks in your door to take your car keys, your would consider it a nuisance (theft being a nuisance crime)? That isn’t the first word that would come to mind for most.

21st March 2024 at 5:52 pm
Michael F

And how often is that happening? Not often.

21st March 2024 at 6:06 pm
Kim Morton

Depends where you live.

21st March 2024 at 9:11 pm
Kim Morton

So far the biggest crime, which is not being addressed, is multiple levels of government stealing more of our pay cheques immunity.

21st March 2024 at 9:14 pm
Xiaoming Guo

Who cares? It is not China. The stolen cars were shipped to Italy. We are witch-hunting China, not Italy. Imagine if we found the stolen cars were shipped to China, our parliament and media would be very hot. Italy is our ally We always allow our allies to do the bad things. Why don’t we as Interpol investigate the criminal gang in Italy that sells stolen cars? Our ally asked us to arrest Meng Wangzhou, right?

21st March 2024 at 10:33 am
Paul Attics

China’s government prefers to steal the intellectual property rather than the end products…not to mention actively undermine our democratic processes, even from within our borders. They are not alone there, just the most effective.

21st March 2024 at 2:13 pm
Rob Attics

Oh yeah, Huawei 🙂

21st March 2024 at 4:32 pm