Today's discussion:

It’s time to stop giving the pro-Palestine protestors the benefit of the doubt

The pro-Palestine movement has repeatedly failed to purge itself from its consistently prominent, continually hateful elements. This is no accident. It follows from the ideological foundations of the movement which are plain for anyone to see.

Read article

Comments (35)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
Ray Howarth

Pro genocide demonstrators should NEVER be given any public space, tolerance or benefit of the doubt.

24th April 2024 at 7:19 am
richard webber

If I were to chant death to Muslims death to blacks, Death to all send them back. Where would I be at the present? Sitting in a jail cell waiting to be charged. The hypocrisy and double standard of enforcing the rule of law is chilling. We have let the enemy in and now have no way to purge this filth.

24th April 2024 at 9:22 am
Shirley

I agree

24th April 2024 at 10:03 am
Peter Morgan

I read recently that up to 70% of Palestinians still support what happened on October 7. Resistance by any means and no matter what the cost (to children). The ultimate example of the ends justifying the means, the end being in at least one well-supported scenario being the elimination of Israel, and of course the Jews living there. This would more clearly be a genocide and this is what current protests are supporting, directly or indirectly, given that those within the protests don’t openly denounce this goal. If we’re going to have hate speech laws, now’s the time to enforce them.

24th April 2024 at 8:06 am
Bob

Did you ever wonder why many Palistinians support or agree with the Oct 7th attacks? Over the years I’ve read numerous pieces that suggest most Palestinians and other Arab states support the two-state solution. Recent reports have indicated that the Israeli government has toyed with the idea of expelling Palistinians from Gaza and the West Bank. So the Israelies appear to be bent on destroying any chance of a Palistinian state.

24th April 2024 at 8:24 am
Peter Morgan

Yes, I understand the motivation but that doesn’t make it right or useful. I suppose if our governments capitulate to the pressure to ostracize Israel from the international community, sort of like North Korea, then the attack could be considered to have been worthwhile no matter how many civilians died. Seems unlikely to me. What this war makes clear is that Israel, given its small size, will never, can never allow an autonomous Palestinian state to exist on its borders.

24th April 2024 at 9:23 am
Greg

There are three distinct activities beginning on Oct 7.
1) Hamas terrorist actack on Israel
2) Hamas retreating into Gaza and shielding itself with civilians
3) IDF attempting to clear Hamas out of its entrenched positions

Glorifying Hamas in the first is wrong and illegal.

Ignoring the fact that Hamas created a strong motivation for the IDF to pursue them into Gaza and thus creating the risk to civilians is willful blindness.

Protesting how the IDF is acting in Gaza is something that could be legal, but does not require anti-semitic behavior. However, a sense of perspective that every civilian killed was intentionally put in harms way by Hamas would be useful.

24th April 2024 at 10:59 am
Paul Attics

I agree, and liked, your comment. However, how is “glorifying Hamas” illegal?

24th April 2024 at 2:21 pm
Greg

You’re right, I intended Glorifying the Hamas terrorist attack on Israel, not Hamas.

24th April 2024 at 5:46 pm
Greg

Is wrong and illegal.

24th April 2024 at 5:47 pm
Kim Morton

There never was any doubt. The Jew haters just discovered that this government is soft on crime and they can come out of the closet. Anyone in Canada supporting Hamas should be deported to Gaza. There is no room in Canada for this type of person.

24th April 2024 at 9:26 am
Jeane Hemelspeck

Good like with that. Our government should do just that but seems they support the terrorists over the safety of Canadians and Canada itself.

25th April 2024 at 1:49 am
Jeane Hemelspeck

That should read Good Luck

25th April 2024 at 1:50 am
bengeo@telusplanet.net

One has to be clear that being against policies of the government of Israel is a valid statement. Being anti-Jewish and terrorizing students is not
It is militant unacceptable hatred. If these people do not wish to be a part of this country and respect the judeo-christian values that built it, they should leave perhaps even be deported

24th April 2024 at 10:27 am
Shirley

I think it’s time as a Canadian that we stop accepting backward believing cultures into Canada.

24th April 2024 at 10:01 am
A.Chezzi

“Alarmingly, this ideological framework also extends to rejecting the basic premises of a free society governed by laws. Yesterday, Students for Justice in Palestine tweeted out “WE REFUSE TO BE SUBSUMED INTO A LIBERAL FIRST AMENDMENT FRAMEWORK!”
This could be Pierre Poilievre speaking. Yes, be aware and be alert.
As for giving Palestinians the benefit of the doubt, the “freedom’ convoy was given much leeway and handled with kid gloves. Why would it be different for another group of protestors?
If Israel had treated the Palestinians with respect and an honest desire to settle the problem long ago, this would not be happening.
What about the Zionist settlers on the West Bank, are they not terrorists? Have they not be given land which was stolen from Palestinians? Are they just defending themselves by murdering young men and terrorizing people?
In a conflict such as this which is thousand of years old, there is no simple right or wrong.

24th April 2024 at 8:13 am
Gail

Pro Hamas followers ( Palestinians) in Canada are terrorists in an edict passed by the federal government therefore they should be arrested , jailed, and deported to their country of origin to fight there. As for freedom convoy you conveniently left out the non democratic treatment of Canadian citizens . Three years in liberal govt has no evidence against Tamara Lich but they keep her on trial for nothing. The liberal judges. In Canada have changed the rule of law to embrace whatever the prime minister’s office wants.

24th April 2024 at 10:42 am
Lauraine

Total nonsense

24th April 2024 at 12:10 pm
Gsil

Do in othtt we words you don’t follow the federal govt rules or recognize what they have passed as law. Rather you just yell, a perfect left leaning stance.

24th April 2024 at 12:48 pm
Gord Edwards

Thanks. Your comments always give me a chuckle.

I really want The Hub to run an essay on popular flavours of ice creme and use it as their Forum article. J. J. McCullough does a lot of pop culture stuff on his YouTube channel, so I’m sure he could write something like that. Because we all know that Pierre Poilievre would outlaw any flavour but vanilla. The public needs to be warned. Yes, be aware and be alert!

24th April 2024 at 10:31 am
Paul

I think protests of any kind are useless and disgusting. It would be nice to have a blanket ban on them.

24th April 2024 at 11:25 am
STEVE J CHIPMAN

It’s hard to find words to express my contempt for such protestors. By supporting Hamas they are expressing approval for genocide against Jews (read “The Covenant of the Hamas (1988)”). But, as a free speech advocate, I believe such protestors should be able to say what they like short of actual threats of violence. I would not dignify their contemptible speech by outlawing it. The best way of highlighting the difference between our liberal democracy and their nihilistic philosophy is to live up to our liberal principles.

24th April 2024 at 10:04 am
Elizabeth Thorne

October 7 was horrible and inexcusable. But there are 34000 dead in Gaza, half of them children. Starvation is rampant. Authorities are opening a mass grave with 300 bodies. Journalists, Health care and aid workers are being killed even though they are clearly identified. Are we even yet?

24th April 2024 at 9:49 am
Laura Blutstein

Are you insane

24th April 2024 at 7:47 am
Michael B

How long before these “protests” evolve into violent terrorist attacks ?

24th April 2024 at 12:50 pm
Jack Berger

It would appear that are new definition of liberal is very selective regarding who has to right and to what extent protest.

24th April 2024 at 10:20 am
Paul Attics

Loathsome speech should be disavowed publicly by our elected leaders, as should any ideas that are on-their face inconsistent with our peaceful, free, and democratic society. Civil society should actively reinforce our norms. Citizens wildly stepping outside of these norms in public should expect social consequences.
Any law breaking should be visibly prosecuted.

Otherwise, carry on. Our precious freedom is demonstrated, no, highlighted, by our uncompromising condemnation AND tolerance of such legal activity.

24th April 2024 at 7:57 am
Imtiaz Popat

Is there still doubt that Isreal is purporting a genocide? There is no doubt in mind that protesters have charter right to demonstrate against the ethic cleansing and genocide of the palestinians. October was a retaliation to that act of genocide and there no doubt in my mind that the growing global protests have legitimate right to protest for peace and justice.

24th April 2024 at 7:53 am
Paul Attics

Israel is not committing genocide, despite its power to do so…using the official definition of the word. Hamas and its supporters would, by their own proclamations, certainly commit genocide on the Israelis if able.
All involved parties are culpable for the long ongoing tragic situation. Chances for peace have been tossed aside by all sides.

24th April 2024 at 8:23 am
Gail

Peaceful protests I agree but that is not what is happening in Canada. Rather the cries for death to all Jews is the mantra. Will it stop there? I think not now Christians are fearful it will multiply as it has in many parts of the world note many churches burned in the country. The Koran explicitly states death to all who are not in the Islamic faith, or at least that is what is being taught in mosques.

24th April 2024 at 12:53 pm
Don Morris

There WAS no doubt, from day one of the agenda of the pro-Hamas activists. Like their heroes Hamas, they want every Jew on the planet eliminated.
Who were the naive people who gave them the benefit of the doubt?

Mostly politicians and the ever-grovelling media,I suppose.

24th April 2024 at 4:11 pm
Ted Kelly

After 75 years of cIsrael’s continual, brutal oppression of the Palestinian people, is it any wonder that there are some extreme views being chanted. Action spawns reaction – What is telling, is the response by Israelis and much of the Jewish diaspora in cloaking themselves as perpetual victims with accusations of anti semitism, while all the while ignoring the 30,000+ Palestinians massacred in Gaza and the illegal occupation of the West Bank. The real question is how does Israel and the diaspora keep such a hold on Western Governments’ support. No other country or ethnic group could conduct itself with the impunity of the Israelis without censure.

24th April 2024 at 1:21 pm
Xiaoming Guo

Palestine is not a country yet. Its border and finance are controlled by Israel. Saying Israel is defending against Palestine is absurd. Oct 7 was an uprising, not an attack. There is a governance problem in Israel: Gaza and the West Bank are ghettos of race segregation. Palestinians are oppressed in Israel.

24th April 2024 at 11:09 am
Richard burzynski

I wonder if the author actually attended the rally? Or did the author just choose quotes that supported their thesis. No doubt thise that glorify the Hammas attacks are wrong. But the majority did not chant those things.

As someone said, promoting genocide should never
be tolerated from anyone – from any side. Hamas is wrong as is the Govt of Israel who have killed over 30,000 people, injured more than 72,000. There is real outrage around the world and tempers are short. We need to feel the pain of all parties.

24th April 2024 at 6:31 pm
Brian

Dame right

24th April 2024 at 12:13 pm