Today's discussion:

Anaida Poilievre is the Conservative Party’s secret weapon

Anaida’s presence in federal politics could bring new energy and influence to the Conservatives, helping to attract and energize not only Latin American Canadians but also other immigrant groups more broadly.

Read article

Comments (18)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please wait...
Your comment has been posted and should appear immediately.
You comment has been received but needs to be moderated before it appears.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again or contact us for help.
Michael B

One of the major social problems we have in this country, particularly over the past 8 years, has been the political focus on particular “groups” at the expense of and to the annoyance of others. Other significant institutions follow their lead.
I’m fed up with identity politics.

7th May 2024 at 5:09 am
Harriet W

Yes, that’s true. Me too

7th May 2024 at 9:11 am
Paul Attics

Anaida Poilievre seems like a “perception antidote” to many of the usual attack lines directed at Pierre. She is an accomplished person and certainly a political asset. However, as commenters have already noted, a leader’s spouse in Canadian politics is much less significant than their American counterparts.

7th May 2024 at 8:52 am
RJKWells

As the American media fusses and speculates over the implications of whether Melania Trump might make an appearance at her husband’s trial, let us be thankful that the role of Prime Ministers’ spouses in Canadian politics is more low-key (the same can be said in the United Kingdom, notwithstanding the dust-up over Akshata Murty, the wife of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, and her non-domicile tax-exempt status).

That I get to choose who my Member of Parliament is and don’t directly vote for the person I think should be Prime Minister is no doubt a factor in the more muted status of their wives. I hope it stays that way.

7th May 2024 at 6:58 am
Mary

Although I agree that the role of Prime Ministers’ spouses in Canadian politics is more low-key that in the U.S. I do believe that Anaida is a great asset to our up and coming Prime Minister and she will be helpful to Canadians. We can look forward to having 2 brains to run our country. She is quite impressive in her own right.

7th May 2024 at 4:02 pm
RJKWells

Many of the spouses of Prime Ministers have incredible résumés. I disagree, though, with your statement about having [two] brains to run our country.” We elect the party, not their spouses.

That said, the support that spouses provide as they perform their elected duties cannot be quantified.

7th May 2024 at 5:06 pm
Kim Morton

Do we really care about where people came from? The vast majority of us, or our ancestors came from somewhere else. Promoting multi-culti is preventing us from ever having a Canadian identity.

7th May 2024 at 9:13 am
SH

Actually, it is killing/killed the CDN identity!

7th May 2024 at 12:54 pm
Murray Geddes

Anaida is an awesome person to help out Canadians as whole!!

7th May 2024 at 9:47 am
Valerie

Poilievre already has a message about young Canadians’ malaise (at least on housing) and it’s “we had a deal”. It’s hard to see people responding well to “work harder” or “get it together” when that is hardly the side of that bargain missing.

It also seems like there’s a tightrope with a perception of being anti-immigration. People of all demographics (including new immigrants) poll as wanting less immigration. Anaida Poilievre might soften some of the less grounded criticism about Pierre Poilievre being far-right, but there also seem to be plenty who wish there were more rather than less variation between parties on immigration. There’s nothing irreconcilable about appealing to the economic interests of immigrant communities and potential voters’ expressed desire to reduce numbers of near-future immigrants, but in practice the optics might be hard.

7th May 2024 at 6:55 am
SH

PP works extremely hard to pander to every ‘immigrant group’ (his FB page clearly demonstrates he has convincingly claimed the title of “Mr Dressup photo-op king”) Yet, he has to worry about the PPC stealing votes from his base (redneck racist rubes)…not sure how he will continue to navigate this dichotomy.

7th May 2024 at 9:01 am
Paul Attics

All political parties tailor their message to appeal to various groups in order to create the broadest set of potential voters and fend off rival parties vying for some of the same voters. It is a challenging endeavor commonly known as ‘politics’ in a multi-party system.

7th May 2024 at 9:28 am
SH

..typically…but in PP’s case ‘courting potential new CDN votes’ is in direct opposition to the preferences of those (PPC types) that got him to the dance.

7th May 2024 at 12:57 pm
Lauraine

This woman is some naive aide that pp must have met in a supply closet.

7th May 2024 at 2:47 pm
bengeo@telusplanet.net

Very interesting and positive

7th May 2024 at 9:49 am
SH

If anything, PP will not really win this election, JT will lose it. Sad. PP has not legitimate policies, just silly sing song slogans to rile up hate filled low info rubes. As for PP’s wife, she is as phoney as PP is. Without scripts they are lost as demonstrated by their shameful comments at Mulroney’s funeral. Trump lite with Melania lite!

7th May 2024 at 8:54 am
RJKWells

They’re lost without scripts, are they? That’s what many have said about the current office holder and his ex in this, our lost decade.

At least the one with a darn good chance of replacing the Prime Minister next year hasn’t shown a desire to replicate his annoying habit of traveling abroad with a Tickle Trunk for costumes. That alone will be a refreshing change.

7th May 2024 at 10:33 am
SH

LOL..No need for PP to travel….he just panders at every ‘new CDN’ event held anywhere across the country!! Check out his ‘United Nations of Canada’ dress up travelogue of an FB page!! So much pandering in so little time!

7th May 2024 at 1:00 pm